Corsair Community

CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 for Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

Teroxgt

Sorry, its Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 not 88GTD as in the topic...

Ok after reading the post and going through the configurator here, I'm in bit of a stress here.The thing is I wanted a Corsair Vengeance for my Phenom build, but when I contacted my dealer here, they only had Corsair XMS 3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9. So I bought it since I had no other option! And after buying it, I came here and from the initial stages( configurator), it looks like it doesn't support AMD builds. I installed the sticks( I have 4 sticks each of 2 gb) and it comes up in the BIOS stating that I have 8121 MB of installed RAM. But the main thing is the speed. BIOS is stating at default 1333 MHZ speed and I changed the option to 1600 Mhz. But after restarting it resets back to 1333 Mhz ( I haven't installed an OS by the way ). Is this because of the incompatibility of the RAM with the build? or can this be corrected? Please help. Will it have problems running applications and games? I have splunked a hell load of greens on this (its very expensive here, around $250 converted). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. They both are the same kits of 4 GB each (2x2) at the same speed with same latency. And also in the BIOS it showed the total memory of 8 GB. Only the speed was defaulted to 1333 mhz. So are there any manual approaches for it to work in the system. The dealer said all the modules are the same, so it wouldn't matter. Only the number of modules increase and will give the same performance.. well..according to him, atleast.. Is there any way to get it to run on my system without giving any problems in the future?

If your dealer guarantees compatibility then he needs to pretest them for you. However his opinion and the facts tend to differ. COULD they work just fine @ 1600? Sure, it's possible, but it hasn't been tested and therefore it's not guaranteed. Don't forget that you're also maxing out the memory controller by using 4 sticks.

Are they at least all the same version (version #'s on the label)?

Version Numbers as in the CMX4GX3M2A1600C9? Or the back stickers with the bar codes? In both the cases they are identical. He gave me two boxes of the XMS 3 with the same part number and mentioning identical numbers in the bar code region as well ( The serial number on top of the part number was different, which is quite obvious :) ). If you want I can upload the image of the boxes to you..

Ok update:

Ok this RAM in mentioned in the QVL in the manual. So then there shouldn't be a problem, right? And even if it does have some issues running at 1600 mhz, running at default 1333 shouldn't cause any problems, i think?! Can you please help me out...

Ok I have made the following changes to BIOS under DRAM settings and they seem to be stable and haven't reset to default values.

Changed the AI Overclock to D.O.C.P

Changed the DRAM Voltage to 1.65

rest I have kept them as it is. I'm testing for the whole day and I'll see if any errors/BSOD/freezes occur...

I ran the torture test of Prime95 64 bit for 9-10 hours, and no errors found. I'll run OCCT and will check if any issues crop up. I have already told the dealer that my set of RAM is not supported by Phenom and asked him to get a pair as mentioned on the Corsair memory for Phenom..

As per the suggestions by a member of another forum, he asked me to run it with the following changes to the BIOS. So should I go ahead with it.

AI OC Tuner {D.O.C.P,}

DRAM OC Profile {DDR3-1600}

verify that the DRAM Timing Control has the proper values of 9-9-9-24

CPU/NB Voltage {Manual}

DRAM Voltage 1.65v

NB Voltage 1.25~1.35V

I have changed the DOCP profile which automatically changed the speed and the timings to the RAMs rated settings. I have just manually adjusted the voltages to 1.65v which is the rated voltage for the RAM. So should I go ahead and change the NB Voltage to the values mentioned above?

Also I'm running the ram sticks in the following arrangement: 1st pair of the sticks: A1|B1 and the next pair in A2|B2. With this arrangement, I'm running the system with no issues. I have also tested the sticks individually(2 hours each) and memtest reports them to be error free. But I have been told that this is not the correct way to run it. Instead I have been told to run it like this: 1st Pair: A1|A2 2nd pair: B1|B2. But when I run like this my system refuses to boot. So any headers on that?

Archived