Corsair Community

UPS for an RM 850?

oaqm

Hi, new member here.

Last week I built an LGA 2011 based system and purchased a Corsair RM-850 to make it all run.

This past week we had an ice storm which killed the power for about three hours, but during the clean up that followed today, the power company cut the power on and off somewhere between 20 and 30 times over a 4 hour span.

I have my new system as well as an older system (powered by a Corsair TX-750) plugged into an APC ES750 UPS. The APC kept the TX750 system running, but the new RM-850 would shut down instantly.

My assumption is that I have just simply over burdened the APC UPS and it is managing to do what it can, but it doesn't have "the juice" to keep both systems lit up for me to gracefully power them down.

Can anyone at Corsair recommend (or at least give me a hint) as to what I need to replace the APC UPS with? ANY realistic suggestions would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you.

If I read your post correctly, you have two computers connected to your APC ES750 and the computer with the TX750 kept running but the computer with the RM850 turned off immediately.

This means to me that the computer with the RM850, although it was still being delivered power as evidenced by the TX750-based computer continuing to run, probably did not like the stepped sine wave output of the APC ES750. I would recommend that you try connecting the RM850 to the UPS by itself and pull the plug to the APC and see if the computer continues to run. If it does continue to run, then you're right and you would need a larger UPS to handle them both. If the RM850 doesn't stay running, then you've proved that the RM850 doesn't like the stepped approximation output waveform from your current UPS.

In that case, you will have to move up to an appropriately sized pure sine wave output UPS such as the APC SmartUPS product line.

Let us know what you find out.

I disconnected everything but the machine with the RM-850 power supply from the UPS and "pulled the plug", the PC shut off immediately.

I am less than surprised.

I suggest you purchase an 2000Va (or higher) pure sine wave UPS, otherwise you will be using an inadequate UPS for your computers.

• 2 months later...

A follow up.... we are currently having a frog strangler of a storm and the power knocked off for a minute or so, the CyberPower CP1500 kept the RM-850 powered system running without a blink.

Consider this one field tested and approved.

Archived