Corsair Community

TX-850M - No power?

candude

I have a TX-850M and has been working great for 16 months. I used the PC last on Wednesday and everything worked fine.

I went away for weekend and when I returned I turned on the PC and nothing happened. No fans, no noises, now power, nothing.

Sounds like a PSU issue? Anyone got any ideas?

It is a ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard. There is a green LED on the MB that is lit. There are also a couple of lit LEDS on the graphics card (ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCU II TOP 3GB).

Edit: I can also charge my phone from USB port.

I think you are right. I did the paperclip test last night and the PSU did power a case fan (the PSU fan didn't start but I believe this is OK as there wasn't enough load/heat to warrant it)

Removed everything from the motherboard and still no power. Made sure it wasn't an issue with the case sending not sending through the "start" signal.

The place I bought all the components have accepted the motherboard as a warranty claim.

Thanks for your help!

Ok. So the PSU isn't dead. Could be the motherboard.

sorry but you are wrong. MObo can be dead. Do the paper clip test to see if PSU turns on at least. Ideally, test pc with another PSU, just to rule out the PSU. In my experience this could easily be bad mobo.

• Corsair Employee
sorry but you are wrong. MObo can be dead. Do the paper clip test to see if PSU turns on at least. Ideally, test pc with another PSU, just to rule out the PSU. In my experience this could easily be bad mobo.

I appreciate your attempt at helping, but in the process of spamming the forums with as many responses in as short of time as possible, you're not reading what you're responding to.

I said the motherboard MAY be dead and he already did the paperclip test. In fact, you even quoted me as saying the motherboard could be dead.

Please read the thread before responding.

I appreciate your attempt at helping, but in the process of spamming the forums with as many responses in as short of time as possible, you're not reading what you're responding to.

I said the motherboard MAY be dead and he already did the paperclip test. In fact, you even quoted me as saying the motherboard could be dead.

Please read the thread before responding.

My sincere apologies for my silly mistake. Didn't mean to hurt anyone. Just read your post about Mobo being at fault. Sorry.

I was not spamming. I just joined the forums because I wanted to post a question. It is Sunday today. Had some free time and thought, while waiting to get an answer, I can try and help somebody. I actually didn't like your comment about spamming, but no worries. I know you are a nice and helpful guy as I have read quite a few of your posts before.

Kind regards everyone.

• 3 months later...

Ended up being a dead motherboard and CPU. Not sure what caused it.

After a lengthy warranty process I got machine up and going again and was working awesome for about 6 weeks and then the same thing happened again. No power, no lights, no post.

I think the mobo is dead again and will need to check the CPU.

I have had it suggested that the PSU could be causing the issue and should be replaced when i get a new mobo. Does this sound plausible? What else could be killing my motherboard(s)?

Archived