Corsair Community

re-use older H50 or ?

nicoljb

I am upgrading from an older i7-930 + Asus p6x58d-e setup to I5-9400F +

MSI Z390-A PRO LGA 1151 (300 Series). My older H50 still works fine but am unsure whether will work with this cpu + motherboard combo or whether to not be so cheap and order a new h60 instead which I assume will work with new cpu+mboard combo(??) Also assume if I re-use H50 that i will need to order a Hydro Series™ Retention Bracket Kit for Hydro Series™ H40, H50 and H70 REV 2 and redo thermal paste on cooler side. Hopefully I am not duplicating any other inquiry - looked but could not find such discussion. Thx for any feedback

You certainly will need to reapply thermal paste on the new installation, but whether or not your cooler includes the 115x bracket may depend on exactly how old it is. All current coolers will come with a compatible 115x bracket. You may have the right mounts somewhere in the old box. Obviously 1366 won't do it.

As for whether to sit tight or buy, that may depend on your personal philosophy about this stuff. For some people, the cooler failing in some manner one day is a traumatic event that causes several sleepless nights until remedied. Others are used to it, pop it right off, put on the next. These are "zero-maintenance" coolers, but that also means at some point in time the efficiency and ultimately the performance is going to drop. Whether you prefer to install the new cooler as you put in your other new hardware, or some months later, is up to you.

thx for taking the time for feedback. I decided the newer H60 should fit the MSI Z390A based on corsair representing it as doing so. The older one I decided will become my grandnephews rig with some other spare parts I have lying around as the I7-930 chip & Asus board (actually a 1366 motherboard) has always performed well. For 60 bucks I will go with a sure thing on h60.

Thanks again.

Archived