Corsair Community

MM800 Lighting laggy

LeSnakk

Since I upgraded I to the latest iCUE version, I noticed that every dynamic lighting effect is very hard and laggy on the MM800. Before the update everything was smooth and you could barely tell where the lighting zones on the MM800 end. Now, it looks very hard and ugly...

Is anyone having the same issues? Or @Corsair are you aware of that issue?

Thanks^^

Can you be specific about what effect you are using on the MM800? I am on 3.6 as well and I have a stack of three waves that wrap around the pad. It is timed to sync with the keyboard, so any deviation from the norm would show up in a mistimed color shift.

So here is the link to my video. I am using Visor at medium speed and there is nothing wrong with my camera/shutter, it looks the same in real life as on the video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxd23mifxk77ux9/20180817_113308_1_1.mp4?dl=0

Before I updated the transition between the lighting zones was so smooth that you couldn't even tell where a zone starts and where it ends.

It looks like both Color Wave and Visor are a bit choppy on the MM800. We have seen this before with iCUE in prior versions, then mostly affecting the fans. Visor on slow doesn't look very smooth on my HD fans either, but that may not be abnormal. Probably not something that will get fixed until the next release, so you want to consider different effects or a roll back to 3.5.

So here is the link to my video. I am using Visor at medium speed and there is nothing wrong with my camera/shutter, it looks the same in real life as on the video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxd23mifxk77ux9/20180817_113308_1_1.mp4?dl=0

Before I updated the transition between the lighting zones was so smooth that you couldn't even tell where a zone starts and where it ends.

Here's what I have done to solve the same issue with various Corsair cooling and peripheral RGB products, including H150i RGP Pro, Lighting Node Pro, Commander Pro, and a K95 RGB Platinum, and of course my MM800 Polaris as well.

The main thing affecting the animation smoothness of my RGB profiles was that I was running a non-clean install of iCUE. Meaning that I did not clear out the C:/AppData/Corsair folder after uninstalling the app and then later installing it again at some point. To ensure full removal of any application you wish to uninstall, I recommend using Revo Uninstaller to completely scrub out all traces of anything you uninstall (with caution of course). It turned out that some old crap left behind was being inherited by the reinstall of a later version, loading the old files as though they were part of the new version's config and thus causing all kinds of issues. You can confirm problems like these in the iCUE logs (after enabling the debugging log under the Settings tab).

This exact same issue later resurfaced and none of the above fixes worked, until I finally realized that the affected device was plugged into the incorrect USB port type after re-cabling my whole gaming center. My recommendation is to make sure that you are using USB 3.0 with any RGB-enhanced Corsair device that requires a non-internal USB connection (though using a USB 3 header on the mobo if you have one to spare never hurts). This ensures that the device will get its maximum data throughput and any additional power it may require from the USB port. Also, Corsair is considered a "system-wide" RGB LED control application and if you have an RGB Asus/Gigabyte/MSI motherboard, you may have received a bold warning that running multiple programs that utilize motherboard resources to control on-board LEDs can cause serious, sometimes irreparable consequences. So because I didn't realize this and had multiple installed, I also fully uninstalled Asus AuraSync and TridentZ Controller apps and in no time everything on the Corsair side was running butter smooth.

Another thing you can do is open the Task Manager, head over to the Processes tab and find any Corsair-related process (by name), right click them, and raise their priority number. This should be done with a great deal of caution as raising certain processes too high can caused instability in the operating system itself and cause a BSOD or drown another critical process you have running of its resources.

In any case, I hope at least one of these tips help you out. Good luck!

Cheers!

Here's what I have done to solve the same issue with various Corsair cooling and peripheral RGB products, including H150i RGP Pro, Lighting Node Pro, Commander Pro, and a K95 RGB Platinum, and of course my MM800 Polaris as well.

The main thing affecting the animation smoothness of my RGB profiles was that I was running a non-clean install of iCUE. Meaning that I did not clear out the C:/AppData/Corsair folder after uninstalling the app and then later installing it again at some point. To ensure full removal of any application you wish to uninstall, I recommend using Revo Uninstaller to completely scrub out all traces of anything you uninstall (with caution of course). It turned out that some old crap left behind was being inherited by the reinstall of a later version, loading the old files as though they were part of the new version's config and thus causing all kinds of issues. You can confirm problems like these in the iCUE logs (after enabling the debugging log under the Settings tab).

This exact same issue later resurfaced and none of the above fixes worked, until I finally realized that the affected device was plugged into the incorrect USB port type after re-cabling my whole gaming center. My recommendation is to make sure that you are using USB 3.0 with any RGB-enhanced Corsair device that requires a non-internal USB connection (though using a USB 3 header on the mobo if you have one to spare never hurts). This ensures that the device will get its maximum data throughput and any additional power it may require from the USB port. Also, Corsair is considered a "system-wide" RGB LED control application and if you have an RGB Asus/Gigabyte/MSI motherboard, you may have received a bold warning that running multiple programs that utilize motherboard resources to control on-board LEDs can cause serious, sometimes irreparable consequences. So because I didn't realize this and had multiple installed, I also fully uninstalled Asus AuraSync and TridentZ Controller apps and in no time everything on the Corsair side was running butter smooth.

Another thing you can do is open the Task Manager, head over to the Processes tab and find any Corsair-related process (by name), right click them, and raise their priority number. This should be done with a great deal of caution as raising certain processes too high can caused instability in the operating system itself and cause a BSOD or drown another critical process you have running of its resources.

In any case, I hope at least one of these tips help you out. Good luck!

Cheers!

Okay thank you very much, I'll try it next week. I moved my PC and I am 100% sure that not every peripheral is in the same USB port again.

But if I clear that folder, won't I lose all my profiles?

Anytime you are getting ready to update iCUE or for troubleshooting purposes, go to C: Users/(name)/AppData (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair/CUE and copy that CUE folder to safe location. It can be dropped back in the same spot later to recover profiles or to test if profile corruption is causing the issue. I keep a back up CUE folder for each version of iCUE. You never know when they will change the profile save format making your profiles not backwards compatible and you need to roll back to an older one.

That said, I am not sure that is the issue here. I always do a clean install on each and every update, dropping in the profile folder after. I tested the various effects on a new profile created in 3.6 and saw the choppy movement for visor and wave. I have not rolled back to 3.5 to see if it is present there as well, but surely someone would have reported it during that month. That does not mean you shouldn't try. The process ranking stuff is up to you. I am of the opinion that if this is necessary, then the program is broken and needs repair. I run my MM800 through my K95 Platinum. If it can't properly power itself through the pass-through port with both keyboard USBs plugged in, then it goes in a dark box never to return.

Archived