Corsair Community

Driver updates revisited

MrPace

This is getting a little frustrating.

When will MSI Live Update 6 for C1 be updated? I am on version 6.1.025

And it doesn't work very well.

I do an auto scan, and as a for instance, it lists my current version of the Intel WIFI drivers as 19.20.0.0

Never mind I recently clean installed the version that is listed on the C1 driver page on the Corsair site (version 19.20.0.6 4/26/17). However, the driver that it ACTUALLY INSTALLED after downloading directly from Corsair is version 19.50.1.6 6/1/2017

And the driver MSI Live Update wants me to install is listed as 19.71.0000.6700

So I don't really get it...why would doing a clean install of the drivers directly from Corsair install a version different from the one listed on the website? lol

This, along with the fact that no BIOS update has been released for the C1, leads me to believe something is wrong in driver-ville when it comes to the C1.

It's as if there is great fear in messing with ANYTHING...how can this system be so damn finicky and fragile?

I've already detailed elsewhere that when I updated my WiFi drivers to the latest from the INTEL website, it caused my C1 to crash on cold boot, resulting in a BSOD (which you couldn't see, but which nevertheless generated the expected mem dump files and BUGCHECK errors in Event Viewer).

I wish someone from Corsair would give us definitive answers as to why drivers and BIOS seem to never be updated on the Corsair site, and MSI Live UPdate plain doesn't work very well at all.

Thanks

Just posted a very similar thread myself.. and bumped zguy85's thread as well. Check that one out.

I've been updating all Intel Drivers thru the Intel DSA since I got the C1 Pro in May 2017, with no issues.. sorry to hear you had crashes on cold boots. Then again I don't cold boot my C1 often.. usually sleep mode is engaged, or I do a typical Windows Restart when I need to. But as far as I know, I've never had booting issues. My boot time is around 14-15 seconds I believe, that's with the OS on the Pro's SSD of course.

I have posted a few times re. lack of driver updates (inc. BIOS), general confusion with versioning of updates and a Live Update which does not update. Normally I let drivers and the BIOS well alone and follow the updater advice as per Dell, Asus... or in this case Corsair.

OK i did a Wifi driver update through the Intel® Driver and Support Assistant, ran it a few weeks and had no problems other than with RasMan service - tweaked until sleep/power ran clean in the event viewer. There were lots of yellow error flags and even a few critical error red flags in other parts of the event log.

So, going through Device Manager looking for driver updates is hit and miss so I used a 3rd party driver updater to do the searching (note - not installing updates). In this case Driver Booster but there are others. Driver Booster found 18 drivers to be updated, some going back as far as 2006 with a couple undated. I then went into Device Manager and updated an NVMe device manager as a test and ran a couple of days without issues - no obvious changes. Back to Driver Booster and i then did other updates one at a time with a couple of days between changes but leaving the Intel Management Engine Interface until last. There were 2 undated drivers which offered an earlier version to replace a most recent version which I left alone (similar issues reported in web searches where Intel versioning and naming changes have caused problems). So, 16 additional driver updates which have run together for 3 days - no problems, so far, but there are dependencies which I am sure i am unaware of. Note BIOS remains as is.

I would much rather have Corsair's Live Update!

Just posted a very similar thread myself.. and bumped zguy85's thread as well. Check that one out.

I've been updating all Intel Drivers thru the Intel DSA since I got the C1 Pro in May 2017, with no issues.. sorry to hear you had crashes on cold boots. Then again I don't cold boot my C1 often.. usually sleep mode is engaged, or I do a typical Windows Restart when I need to. But as far as I know, I've never had booting issues. My boot time is around 14-15 seconds I believe, that's with the OS on the Pro's SSD of course.

14-15 seconds sounds like a long time.

I have the C1 Pro 7700k with 1080TI, and with FAST BOOT enabled, I cold boot in less than 10...I haven't actually timed it...but sometimes it seems like 5 seconds or so...it's super quick when it's working correctly.

Like I also said, you might be getting a BSOD on cold boot and not even know it...I never saw a BSOD....but it took something like 20-30 seconds to boot when it was generating the mem dump, BSOD with the new Intel WiFi driver.

But if you look in Event Viewer and see Critical Error relating to Kernel shutdown and/or a BUG CHECK error, then you've had a BSOD.

Archived