Corsair Community

Corsair GS 180GB bellow average in incompressible data?

Contiusa

So guys, I replaced my Corsair GS 180GB (SandForce Firmware 5.05a) and reformatted (Windows install CD to delete partitions and then a quick format in Windows) to sell it later on. But I passed CrystalDiskMark and the random data is a bit too low in comparison with the Custom PC Reviews on the GS 240GB.

I am selling the SSD so I need to make sure that I am selling it as good as it gets. If the performance is hindered for some reason, I need to give it a big discount over the resale value.

Here is my pass

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Contiusa/CrystalDiskMark_GS_180_2_zps5bgzvhxc.jpg

And CrystalInfo

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Contiusa/CrystalDiskInfo_GS_180_zpsys8khgma.jpg

As a way of comparison, Custom PC Reviews on the GS 240GB.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Contiusa/Custom-PC-Reviews_zpsy5ji5nzn.jpg

Is there something to do? Update the motherboard controller? In this case, which driver would that be? My mobo is the Z77X-D3H.

So I did a Secure Wipe with Corsair SWT. All went smooth, no errors. I did the test again and the numbers are the same.

What baffles me is that in write in 4K and sequential write with incompressible data the values of my GS is basically half of what the review shows. Looks like the GS 180GB has the same specs of the GS 240GB. And all other numbers are lower than the review.

Does that mean my SSD came defective (and I had no idea) or it can degrade with time? From what I hear, after a format or a wipe clean the SSD gets restored to factory default.

Or this can be due to SATA controller? My Z77 is AHCI standard, the Corsair GS is plugged into the other SATA 6 port, and my Samsung 850 Pro is flying in both compressible and incompressible data (basically the same numbers in both, very on par with reviews).

I tried to install the latest driver from Gigabyte and Windows says the driver is older than the current one, but do I need to override Windows and install the driver from Gigabyte?

I appreciate any help.

You're using CDM 5.1.2, but custompcreview is using CDM 3.0.1 x64. The results could be completely different.

Double check and make sure you're using the Intel SATA III ports and not the Marvell SATA III ports.

Thanks. I am using Intel's port. The second port (1). I'll try to download the 3.0.1 version, but yesterday I did some tests moving some movie files from one folder to another and the Corsair GS is having a subpar performance in incompressible writing, basically tied with my Velociraptor, a mechanical driver, at 140s mbs. The Samsung 850 Pro gets stable at 370mb/s (perhaps bottlenecked by the GS reading speed, because the GS is the only driver fast enouth to import from).

Unfortunatelly I can't seel an SSD that writes files at 140mbs.

Don't forget to tell the purchaser that the SSD has no warranty: http://www.corsair.com/en/support/warranty

Does that mean that that the problem dies with me?

OK, I am reading the warranty and I have no idea what the warranty says (I don't have time to study it). Sounds like I have to deal with Corsair myself, but I might be wrong.

I will write Corsair's support and explain the problem and show the tests. They might tell if I can replace or not the SSD. Or they can refer me incompressible tests to be done or show me the standard transfer rates for incompressible data.

I found the 3.0.4 version (the only one available at CrystalDisk).

It is even worse. In 512K it gets three times slower than Custom PC Reviews test, not just two. Also in 4K QD32, more than twice worse. All other numbers trail the test as well.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Contiusa/CrystalDiskMark_GS_180_3.0_zps0lxghzht.jpg

OK, I am reading the warranty and I have no idea what the warranty says (I don't have time to study it). Sounds like I have to deal with Corsair myself, but I might be wrong.
It's the first sentence:

Corsair provides a non-transferable warranty to the purchaser of Corsair hardware product purchased from an authorized Corsair reseller.

You can't transfer the warranty to someone. The person you sell it to wouldn't have purchased it from an authorized Corsair reseller, so therefore they have no warranty.

You can't transfer the warranty to someone. The person you sell it to wouldn't have purchased it from an authorized Corsair reseller, so therefore they have no warranty.

But I did not buy it from an authorized Corsair reseller. This is basically nonexistent in Brazil. Very few niche stores have authorized reseller status.

I quite never understood this. Who make the product has to deal with whatever mistakes it does no matter if I buy it from Newegg or a small local vendor in my city. It all indicates I have a defective Corsair product. They should deal with it, no matter the store that I bought it from.

Edit: I am the one trying to sort it out. I am not going to sell it this way, so whoever could be buying the SSD from me won't have to worry about warranty in this case. I am just trying to sort the problem and ask Corsair to deal with me. And I am already bugged to have been with a defective SDD for that long and just now that I am seeing this. The prospect to receive the "finger" from Corsair just because I did not buy it from an authorized Corsair reseller does not wrap that well around my mind.

You may have bought it from an authorized reseller, or a store that purchased it from an authorized distributor, and not known it. Or, did you purchase it from an end user?

You can create a ticket right with the team in Brazil and they'll be able to help determine if they're authorized or not: http://rma.suporte-corsair.com.br/login/

Thanks for the tip. I did through the Brazilian support (I was writing to the international one).

I'll let you guys know what's their feedback.

Edit: I saw in the support ticket that my SSD has two versions -- CSSD-F180GBGS-BK and CSSD-F180GBGSB-BK. Mine is the first one. I don't know which one came first. Could that be an older defective version that was fixed? Do they recall the old ones in this case? Or maybe this is just to differentiate foundries or manufactures?

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the warranty had expired a couple months ago and the support cannot replace it.

I got to live with it. I might replace the 128GB that I have in my backup computer for the 180GB and then sell the 128GB (if it is not bad as well :)

Thanks for the help, I do appreciate.

Archived