Corsair Community

Boot Issues With Different Ram Types

Grimreaper204

Alright so I currently have 3 different types of memory

- 2x 2gb DDR3 Corsair Dominator (TW3X4G1333C9D)

- 2x 2gb DDR3 Corsair XMS3 (TW3X4G1333C9A)

- 1x 4GB DDR3 Corsair XMS3 (CMX4GX3M1A1333C9)

Basically if I have one of the dominator sticks in, it won't let me start my computer just boots then turns off and repeats. If I take that one out and use my other dominator stick the comp will run for a period of time then randomly restart sometimes 15minutes in sometimes 3 hours in. I've returned both for warranty same problem with the new sticks so I doubt it is the stick itself.

If I run both my XMS3 sticks (2x2gb) the computer runs fine, no restarts no problems but I need more RAM (want 8gb, supports up to 16gb), it will boot with my one good dominator stick but will restart after a period of time (might be stick itself, since the bad dominator will not boot comp at all past bios)

I got my 1x4gb today and if I put it in with the other 2x2gb the computer won't boot into windows, just restarts at the windows load screen. If I run 1x 2gb XMS3 and 1x 4gb the computer runs fine no issues

What I am wondering is if there is a power issue as in I do not have enough power from my 650W to power 3 hds, 1x vid card and all that memory. All modules are 1.5V. Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me insane.

Other Info:

Motherboard has been replaced once

Nothing is overclocked

Windows 7, 64bit

Any questions that you need to help just ask

It's never recommended to mix memory. If I remember correctly the TW3X4G1333C9A may be single sided (there's a better term for it which I can't remember offhand) and that may be why they're running fine in the system. Unfortunately it's not in the Corsair Memory Finder so I'm not sure what other memory is compatible with your system. For compatibility it's always best to replace memory rather than add memory to a system.

Does your BIOS allow you to change the memory voltage?

It's never recommended to mix memory. If I remember correctly the TW3X4G1333C9A may be single sided (there's a better term for it which I can't remember offhand) and that may be why they're running fine in the system. Unfortunately it's not in the Corsair Memory Finder so I'm not sure what other memory is compatible with your system. For compatibility it's always best to replace memory rather than add memory to a system.

Does your BIOS allow you to change the memory voltage?

Can't change the voltage in bios, I was messing around with it yesterday got it running stable with the 2 dominators in the other mem slots + the 2 XMS3s in the other, started rebooting after awhile as well. if I take out the 2 XMS3 and put in the one 4gb still won't boot, same with if i swap the dominator and XMS3 slots then won't boot, boots with one XMS3 + 4gb stick, not sure if it is a mobo issue or..

Archived