Corsair Community

Corsair Link - Not Changing Vengeance RGB Colors

brockkane

Seems color scheme is stuck on "Rainbow" can not change to "Static"

I select a color then "Group" the RAM keeps running rainbow colors.

EVGA X99 Classified Motherboard

Unfortunately, Corsair has been unable or unwilling to sit down and get the CL software up to date and working correctly and even more so for x99 platforms. It has been 9 months since I purchased Vengeance LED for my system and they still have not provided support for them on my EVGA X99 FTW K. As you will note from their change log, updates are slow to come. I don't even know what to think anymore, this isn't the same Corsair I remember from years past. I recently purchased a new mouse and keyboard and looked at Corsair's offerings but chose not to purchase from them due to their lack of attention to their software.

In any event, it may take months if at all before you will be able to use their product as intended.

Unfortunately, Corsair has been unable or unwilling to sit down and get the CL software up to date and working correctly and even more so for x99 platforms. It has been 9 months since I purchased Vengeance LED for my system and they still have not provided support for them on my EVGA X99 FTW K. As you will note from their change log, updates are slow to come. I don't even know what to think anymore, this isn't the same Corsair I remember from years past. I recently purchased a new mouse and keyboard and looked at Corsair's offerings but chose not to purchase from them due to their lack of attention to their software.

In any event, it may take months if at all before you will be able to use their product as intended.

Well that's very discouraging! I was pretty excited about this memory. Have color options to use and change when I want! DOH!

Wow, was I wrong! I pulled my G.Skill Ripjaws that I loved! Wish I didn't now. Didn't need to spend $300 for essentially the same exact RAM!

I guess I'll hope and pray that soon Corsair will give us an update, so we CAN changed colors instead of being stuck with the Rainbow effect. Pretty, but not what I bought these modules for!

Thanks Qqu!

I have mine working on an X99 Deluxe II board. Is there an option in your bios to enable SPD or SMBus writes? It's possible the SMBus is locked preventing writes which is why your modules are not able to be controlled.

Edit: Just tried on a X99 Classified and they have locked the SMBus with no option to unlock. In order to control EVGA would need to update the bios to unlock it.

I have mine working on an X99 Deluxe II board. Is there an option in your bios to enable SPD or SMBus writes? It's possible the SMBus is locked preventing writes which is why your modules are not able to be controlled.

Edit: Just tried on a X99 Classified and they have locked the SMBus with no option to unlock. In order to control EVGA would need to update the bios to unlock it.

I don't even see either of those in my bios, I will contact EVGA support and see what they say.. Thanks for info.

Thank you for this post which confirms what I have suspected this for some time, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=874699. Which BIOS version do you have?

Corsair should have specified this release information and need update it to do so. Further CL4 should check SMB_DIS_WRT in the "Integrated Memory Controller 0 Target Address, Thermal & RAS Registers - Vendor ID 8086-2FA8-2FA88086-02" and if writing is disabled report this via the GUI to the user :idea:.

Please will you post a SIV [sMB Bus] screen shot from your system as I am curious to know what the IMC SMBus speeds are set to and what SMBus devices are present?

attachment.php?attachmentid=28386&stc=1&d=1490689517

attachment.php?attachmentid=28388&stc=1&d=1490691587

24944744_ChipsetMCHforASUSX99-DeluxeII.thumb.png.450b78d9a427c27f656ed61518027215.png

708832201_ASUSX99-DeluxeII.thumb.png.27eb2b3d4b7f669d1876f5c79094bc75.png

I can confirm that setting DRAM SPD Write to Enabled in the BIOS works with Strix X99 as well. Here is the SMB Bus screenshot:

Thank you, the devices at [ 1_58 ] + [ 1_5C ] + [ 2_58 ] + [ 2_5C ] are the DIMM LEDs, but they are different to my CMU16GX4M2A2666C16 which is why SIV did not report them as such. I will change SIV 5.18 so it does.

Exactly which DIMMs do you have please? [sPD Summary] will report this.

Update:

EVGA has updated their X99 motherboards with a small BIOS fix to enable RGB LED's on both Corsair and G.Skill memory modules.

Have flashed the BIOS (version 2.04) on my X99 EVGA Classified motherboard. Now the Corsair Link has complete control over my Corsair Vengeance RGB LED's. The Corsair Link now works as advertised.

Thanks for the help Corsair to getting the word to the engineers over at EVGA.

:laughcry:

• 1 month later...

red-ray,

Thanks for getting the issue fixed here. I am having a weird issue with two kits of CMR16GX4M2A2666C16 and an EVGA 131-HE-E095-KR motherboard. DIMM's 3/4 will not allow me to edit their configs. Swapping sticks around does not fix the issue. Is that something that can be addressed?

red-ray,

Is that something that can be addressed?

Most issues can be addressed, but from the information you have posted I can't even guess. As a minimum I would need to see the SIV [sMB Bus] + [Chipset MCH] + [sPD Summary] screen shots from your system. It would also be helpful if you used http://forum.corsair.com/forums/profile.php?do=extra.

What revisions are the two sets of DIMMs?

attached the screenshots you requested. All 4 DIMM's are ver 5.30.

1. Looking at the SIV screen shots all is as I would expect and can't see any hardware reason as to why CL 4.6.0.86 would not be able to control all 4 DIMMs. I suspect there could be an issue with the CL4 code that Corsair need to address.
  2. SIV can't control your RGB DIMMs as I don't know how to do this. Should Corsair provide me with the datasheet I would add support and then we could check if the hardware worked when controlled by SIV.
  3. AFAIK the Intel Xeon E5-2673 v4 is a 20 core/40 thread CPU and CL4 has issues with > 32 threads, so maybe this is a factor. Post one screen shot showing both the CL4 [Home] tab + SIV initial screen so I can see what CL4 reports and how this compares to what SIV reports. Note I both need to be on the same screenshot to ensure all the temperatures should be similar.
  4. Looking at [sMB Bus] I suspect I need to improve the SIV support for your motherboard. If you would like to help me do this then please send me/post the SIV save files, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=788225 for what I would need/like.
  5. I have just noticed that [Chipset MCH] reports TSOD/CLTT as enabled and I am wondering how well CL4 deals with this. Please leave SIV running for >= 30 minutes and post Menu->Hardware->DIMM Status so I can see how SIV does. Is there a BIOS option to disable TSOD/CLTT? If so after the SIV test disable it, repeat the test and finally see if CL4 does any better. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=887787 + http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=889163 + https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=tsod+cltt.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28957&stc=1&d=1494619525

Screenshots are attached

1. Thank you for the SIV save file.
  2. I was hoping for the SIV screen + the CL4 [home] tab of the same screen so I could compare what to two report rather than the SIV [CLink4Service] panel.
  3. Looking at [DIMM Status] I can see TSOD/CLTT is forcing SIV to retry as I expected.
  4. SIV also misread one set of DIMM information, but the earlier [sPD Summary] was OK.
  5. In general SIV was struggling to read the SMBus. Do you have any other monitoring software active? CL4 should be OK.
  6. When SIV tried to read device [ 0_15 ] the SMBus locked up, this could be down to other monitoring software failing to use the locks.
  7. Because of this much of the information I needed to check is missing.
  8. Please reboot the system to get the SMBus working again.
  9. I have attached a special test SIV (V5.19 EVGA-26), please will you use it to redo the save, ideally press [Minimal] as this will give me a better chance of figuring out the SMBus read issues.
  10. May I have both SIV_DESKTOP-0274NQE.txt + SIV_DESKTOP-0274NQE.dmi. The .DMI file is the raw data the [Machine] panel is generated from and with it SIV runs better in debug/test mode.

220940622_EVGASMBBus.thumb.png.759f50e147a23a324426ae9edc477777.png

Requested files attached. Sorry about the first screen shot. Total brain fart until I got home and realized what you needed. As you can see from the capture, it doesnt show all 4 DIMM's (even though the system fully sees all of them, and this is fairly common).

I wasnt able to find anything in my BIOS to let me disable what you were looking for.

Thanks again for the support!

SIV_DESKTOP-0274NQE.txt

SIV_DESKTOP-0274NQE.zip

CL4_SIV_p2.thumb.PNG.2ddccb4be6b8ed2dae90438378d36697.PNG

I wasnt able to find anything in my BIOS

Thank you for the new SIV save files.

1. Ask EVGA for a BIOS update that has a TSOD/CLTT disable option.
  2. CL4 is as I expected and only reports 16 of your 20 cores. I suspect there is little chance Corsair will fix this.
  3. I suspect the CL4 RGB control issues may be down to TSOD/CLTT. Do you always see 3.
  4. CL4 is only reporting one DIMM temperature when it should report four. Does it ever report other than one?
  5. SIV reported all four DIMM temperatures, so CL4 should. Does SIV always report all four?
  6. Looking at [sPD Thermal] I can see two different MTS chips are used. The unnamed one is a Seiko chip, but I don't know the part number, can you see it's part number please?
  7. Is there a BIOS screen that reports temperatures, fan speeds and voltages? If so please post this as it will help me get SIV to report the correct names and voltages.
  8. The reboot was not enough to get the X99 PCH SMBus going. Try power cycling the system, maybe unplug it for 2 minutes.
  9. Check that [sMB Bus] reports the NCT7802Y as it did earlier and then generate new save files using SIV 5.19 or later which should do better. You may as well remove the old ones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I can confirm that setting DRAM SPD Write to Enabled in the BIOS works with Strix X99 as well. Here is the SMB Bus screenshot:

SIV.jpg

I gotta say... I purchased this RAM and a Strix X99 motherboard and have been searching for how to control my RAM and you finally fixed it for me. After enabling SPD Write in my Strix X99 BIOS I can finally control my RAM.

THANKS!

NO MORE SEIZURE ENDUCING STROBING, LOL!

After enabling SPD Write in my Strix X99 BIOS I can finally control my RAM.

Great, do you have LED or RGB DIMMs?

Using SIV or CL4? I suspect SIV 5.21 will work for LED on X99, but I don't recall being told it does.

For X299 SIV 5.22 Beta-10 or later is needed and Beta-11 can control RGB DIMMs :bigeyes:

Great, do you have LED or RGB DIMMs?

Using SIV or CL4? I suspect SIV 5.21 will work for LED on X99, but I don't recall being told it does.

For X299 SIV 5.22 Beta-10 or later is needed and Beta-11 may even do RGB DIMMs once I release it :bigeyes:

I have Red LED DIMMs (4 of them) I'm using Corsair Link 4.8.0.82 and not SIV. I never had the time to figure out how to use SIV before and I suspect it wouldn't have worked anyways unless I enabled SPD Write... am I correct?

Anyways, it all works as expected now. I'm confused as to why they didn't just make all their ram RGB instead of having specific colors, but at the time I couldn't find any RGB available since there was no stock. My build is red anyways.

I have Red LED DIMMs (4 of them) I'm using Corsair Link 4.8.0.82 and not SIV. I never had the time to figure out how to use SIV before and I suspect it wouldn't have worked anyways unless I enabled SPD Write... am I correct?

Anyways, it all works as expected now. I'm confused as to why they didn't just make all their ram RGB instead of having specific colors, but at the time I couldn't find any RGB available since there was no stock. My build is red anyways.

Yes, SPD write needs to be enabled.

I guess RGB RAM costs more and some just wish to have a single colour.

If you ever do try SIV to control your DIMMs it would be great to know if it worked. I know it works on a PCH SMBus + SKL-E IMC SMBus, but have never tried on HSW-E so there may be a bug in the SIV HSW-E IMC SMBus write code.

Archived