Corsair Community

Neutron GTX problems

JDookie

I have a couple Neutron GTX 240GB drives in RAID 0 that I received via RMA about a month or two ago. At that time, I requested that the RMA dept. send the drives with the latest firmware, and have them formatted and ready for me to install Windows on, which they gladly did. Well, I noticed that ever since I installed these drives, I would get a random blue screen here and there. The first one happened a couple weeks after the drives were installed and it happened right after I updated the video driver so it made me think it was the video driver, so I just reverted back to the previous driver, and didn't think any more of it, but then it happened about a week later, and now it's happening on a daily basis, all the way up to today where they are pretty much all but dead. I am getting a message saying to "Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". If I reset the computer a couple times, it will eventually boot into Windows. Being the drives are suspect at this point, I got into Windows and tried to run ChkDsk, and it just about immediately failed and went straight to blue screen.

What should I do at this point? Should I wipe the drives, and do another clean install of Windows? I really don't want to go through all that if all it's going to do is end up in the same place as I already am. Is there any other way to troubleshoot which drive may be causing the issue?

By the way, just to rule out anything like overclocks, I put absolutely everything back to stock/default settings until this is figured out. I actually haven't even been running an overclock since this all started happening.

UPDATE:

I ended up just wiping the drives clean via Secure Erase (Parted Magic), and at first, one of the drives wasn't showing up, and then both drives showed up except with the same serial number, and with the only difference between the two serials was one ended in "b" and the other one didn't. I went ahead and erased them both, rebuilt my RAID array, but when I go to boot my computer from the Windows disc for install, I am now getting a UEFI option when the boot choices pop up, and if I choose my normal (non-UEFI) CD/DVD rom drive I get a boot error. Did Parted Magic not unload properly?? I'm so disgusted right now, I can't see straight. I've had nothing but problems with these Corsair drives, and this entire process.

So, as of right now, I *may* have a bad SSD, and I can't boot off the Windows disc to even attempt a Windows install because of something that went wrong with Parted Magic. AHHH!!

Thank you for the link, but unfortunately I can't even get to the point of installing Windows because everything is so jacked up that I can't even boot from the Windows cd.

Would a CMOS reset clear the whole boot issue??

I'm still thinking I have a bad drive, but need to at least be able to run chkdsk to find out.

Hopefully someone from Corsair can confirm this, is it normal to have two SSD's with the same serial (one ending in "b") in the Secure Erase program? I did receive both drives from RMA, and I've seen two drives with sequential serials but never the same exact serial, with one ending with a "b".

I don't have a computer with a UEFI BIOS so i can't really help with your issue. As for the CMOS reset you can try it.

Google some tutorials and see if you can find guides that tell you how to install Windows 7 on UEFI systems and see if that helps.

Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone was following it. I have been able to confirm that it is the SSD's that are causing all the issues. They are basically dead. After trying absolutely everything to get Windows to install onto these SSD's, and failing, I finally gave up, removed them from my system, and popped in a spare mechanical hdd that I had lying around, and Windows installed flawlessly. No issues whatsoever, so this tells me that it's these SSD's that have giving all these recent headaches.

I have submitted yet another RMA, and have my fingers crossed that I actually get ones that last this time. Crazy that for this kind of money you still can't get a quality product.

Archived