Corsair Community

Alienware Aurora R5 cooling options

Woosty

Hello everyone,

Please could you give me some advice on liquid cooling for my PC?

I have an Alienware Aurora R5 so a small case and am trying to find out which liquid cooling option will just slot straight in as I am a total newbie at modding/building a pc.

I think that I need the Corsair Hydro Series H60 120mm and was wondering if someone could please confirm that this is the correct choice for the space that I have in the case?

Thank you in advance,

Chris

I just did a quick Google search and I see guys running the H75's in the Aurora R5's so there should be no reason as to why the H60 wouldn't work for you.

- H60 Radiator Dimensions: 157mm x 120mm x 27mm

- H75 Radiator Dimensions: 155mm x 120mm x 27mm

Edited by Johnny_B500

The Dell forums are a good place to look for info on what size radiator people have managed to squeeze in. That R5 is one of the more unexpected layouts in recent memory. I can't find a good picture of what's up there, but presumably it is a generic Asetek 120mm radiator. One of the more difficult things with the Alienware models is they don't always have standard connections. Be careful accounting for fan headers for control and another for the pump. Even the PSU is custom and I am not sure you have extra cables for things like SATA or Molex adapters.

I just don't know anymore. There was a time when I knew the ins and outs of those machines, but Dell does extremely proprietary things with them. The GPU shouldn't be an issue. Be careful on the PSU. Besides unique motherboard connectors, the R5 is the one with the swing arm PSU that sits above the GPU, correct?

I don't know. With the Alienware, I feel like I need the model in front of me to inspect every single screw and connector to make sure they didn't invent a 9 pin fan connector - just because. If you have not already, I would ask in the Alienware forum. It used to be a decent place for information, but I have long since stopped visiting. So many of the necessary questions will be case/board/psu limited.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/bd-p/Alienware-desktops

The same questions you are asking here:

1) Is it possible to replace/upgrade the water cooling system in the R5? What size radiator will fit?

2) Can you replace the PSU on this model? Lot of PSUs in many sizes, but the trick will be special Dell connectors on your system - if any.

Usually someone has done it before and will have specific advice. The Corsair gear specifications are not likely to be the problem. It's what you can mate to that motherboard and fit in that case.

Incidentally, I understand both the GPU and cooler upgrade. Is there a reason to replace the PSU? Typically Alienware models have pretty decent wattage models. It seems unlikely you will be short on power. Is there a problem with the current one?

I will need to upgrade my PSU to a 850 Watts.

And that is what I am wondering... my 10 year old R2 had 850W PSU. I suspect your has a similar level. Does it say anywhere in your product literature, online info, Alienware website, etc.? The GPU and CPU use quite a bit of power. Everything else, not so much.