Corsair Community

Corsair Vengeance LPX

Bhaalspawn

Hello i am interested in these RAM because i could need to put a LP cooler

i have read different things around, but it seems,as owner of a Ryzen 5, i should buy only samsung b-die RAM and Vengeance LPX (3200) have b-die only in version 4.xx and not 5.xx

Is it true that i can't set 3200 with Hynix RAM?

Is it true that b-die is only in 4.xx version?

And how can i check this before buying?

What is called "B-Die" in short actually is Samsung 8Gbit B-Die (K4A8G045WB) and that IC is found on Corsair Ver4.31. There is only a few higher end kits that are officially marketed utilitizing B-Die. So for most kits there are only unofficial sources about what types of ICs are commonly used in them. Some kits are know to be B-Die exclusive based on their specs, while for most others IC usage varies a lot. For more B-Die info there is a very large list over at Hardwareluxx that should be easy enough to find :sunglasse

Lately some people also had some success with Hynix 8Gbit CJR based kits and higher frequencies on Ryzen, so Ver5.32 might be Ok as well. However they can't match a decent B-Die based kit in terms of timings at a certain frequency and don't scale as well with voltage. So I consider them more of a low budget alternative.

I actually bought 2 32GB kits of Vengeance LPX 3200 CL 16 for my Crosshair VII and one of them turned out to be Hynix-M, and one of them was surprisingly Samsung B-Die. I kept both and can use the full 64GB @ 3200 CL16 with my R5 2600 @ 4.1Ghz, but getting any higher than that with all four slots occupied has currently proven unsuccessful. (Although 64GB @ 3200 is already more than I expected in the first place to run stable. Downside: They need 1.39V, anything below that and I crash during stresstrests.)

You can be sure that with Ryzen 2, the LPX 3200 are able to go up to their specs though and I am confident that with tweaking they can perform even slightly higher than that.

On their own (2x16GB dual channel) I could post with the Hynix kit @ 3466 CL16 and the B-Dies @ 3533 CL16, although I didn't try to tune both and they were far from stable.

Both kits are v5.39

• 2 weeks later...

Archived