Corsair Community

Rampage V Extreme X99 - Vengeance LED - I can't control the LEDs

adamr_za

Ok have the latest CL4 installed and SPD writes enabled in the bios ...

How do I control the LEDs ? The software settings do absolutely naught

Reason I'm posting is I'm sure I read a person with an Asus x99 board getting these LEDs to work properly. So what am I missing ?

Hi red-ray .... here is the screenshot as requested

That should work, are you 100% sure writes are enabled in the BIOS?

Run my SIV utility and post the Menu->System->SMB Bus panel then press [ 255 - 19 - 0 ] and that panel as well, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=897415. Please use the SIV 5.18 Beta, see Known Issues on my site.

What state are the LEDs currently in?

That should work, are you 100% sure writes are enabled in the BIOS?

Run my SIV utility and post the Menu->System->SMB Bus panel then press [ 255 - 19 - 0 ] and that panel as well, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=897415. Please use the SIV 5.18 Beta, see Known Issues on my site.

What state are the LEDs currently in?

Hey red-ray ... see above screenshots. the CL4 state the dimms are in are pulse mode. but ... they just keep pulsing in their own random arb order, no matter the settings and even if they made static they just pulse

Looking at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=897415 then you should note there are also devices at [ 1_58 ] + [ 1_5C ] + [ 2_58 ] + [ 2_5C ] that you don't have.

Then looking below you will see his DIMMs have the same part number as yours, but if you look closely then his are 8GB 16 8Gb when yours are 8GB 16 4Gb so I expect his DIMMs are a later revision.

I also noted SIV reported one of your DIMMs has a SPD CRC error meaning the SPD is not as it should be, but would need to see [sPD Details] to know what.

Given the SPD CRC error the DIMMs are faulty and I would be inclined to RMA the DIMMs and ask for the later revision to be supplied which I suspect CL4 will be able to control. I would also mention that CL4 can't control the current DIMMs.

If you change the IMC SMBus speed to 100 KHz what does [sMB Bus] then report. Do Menu->Edit->View SMBus IMC, press [100KHz], press [ OK ] and then press [sMB Bus].

Clipboard01.png

its not changing from the 446khz default ... clicked on the 100khz and then clicked ok and nothing

Edit: see some strange reporting on siv. The CRC stats sometimes shows up on just 1 stick and then two and sometimes 3 (random order)... This after a cold boot each time. Also siv reported as 24gig the one time when windows and the bios and cl reported 32 gig. So if no one else is have these issues on an x99 setup like mine it has to be the dimms. But a mate on his z270 board with the exact dimms was able to change the LEDs etc and no other issues

The X99 IMC SMBus controllers are totally different to the Z270 PCH SMBus controller.

Are you running ASUS AI Suite or any other software that reports hardware? If so what?

Does it use the Access_ISABUS.HTP.Method Named Mutex to interlock access?, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141037

No ai suite installed ... I also had the razer software uninstalled. I'll need to properly investigate when at home. But off hand don't think I have anything running in the background monitoring (unless the cl process is still running even though cl is closed ). Really considering selling this memory set and buying a g.skill set

Ps: seen this on the g.skill forum

"If Trident Z RGB lighting effects are on and you open CPU-Z (or SIW or any other system info software), then the system info software may have trouble detecting memory SPD information. " ... Sure this will apply to corsair as well

Seems g.skill are are allot more on the ball than corsair regarding info around their rgb set

"If Trident Z RGB lighting effects are on and you open CPU-Z (or SIW or any other system info software), then the system info software may have trouble detecting memory SPD information. " ... Sure this will apply to corsair as well

Seems g.skill are are allot more on the ball than corsair

No, the reason for the issue with CPUZ is that I expect G.Skill fail to use the Access_ISABUS.HTP.Method named mutex :(:.

All of AIDA64 + CPUZ + HWiNFO + SIV + ... use this can all can read/write the SMBus at the "same" time.

No, the reason for the issue with CPUZ is that I expect G.Skill fail to use the Access_ISABUS.HTP.Method named mutex :(:.

All of AIDA64 + CPUZ + HWiNFO + SIV + ... use this can all can read/write the SMBus at the some time.

red-ray thanks for your time and advice on this. one thing is for sure I'm more informed around this subject because of you ... thank you 😊

but...

I offered the ram to a mate and sold it last night. bought the g.skill rgb set which should arrive next week. Not gonna go through the pain a second time with these sticks. something like the Spd writes enable ... corsair makes no mention of this. they really need to jack up their support for their products

they should hire you 👍

I hope the Trident Z RGB work out for you. They have had difficulty getting the light show to cooperate on the dual bank X99's as well. Last I heard, active control was not available yet, but a work in progress.

If this does work for you, let us know. I am interested too.

I hope the Trident Z RGB work out for you. They have had difficulty getting the light show to cooperate on the dual bank X99's as well. Last I heard, active control was not available yet, but a work in progress.

If this does work for you, let us know. I am interested too.

Ok some feedback on those rgb g.skills

1. Kit runs in quad channel and all sticks are recognised

2. Can control the leds on all dimms with no issues (initially one dimm wasn't being controlled but a power off fixed it)

3. Can run at 2800mhz with xmp specified timings (Manual tuning)*

4. Running vccsa at 1.05v *

Have run benchmarks etc and so far no crashes or bsods Initially I tried xmp settings and t would not boot ... So still gonna try for 3000mhz*

Ok got the ram to work at xmp settings 3000Mhz 16-18-18 38 2T

Have to set the rampage tweak to mode 1 or mode 3 (although not sure what mode 3 is)

The lighting also works and am able to control with no issues. Seldomely one stick goes rogue and maintains the last lighting profile. The fix is rather easy... Close the gskill rgb software and then restart the asledservice and now restart the gskill rgb app ... It will throw an error and shut down. This is expected and fine ... Dont fret. Restart the gskill rgb app again and all will be good again

Archived