Corsair Community

corsair dominator platinum 1866mhz light kit looks wierd !!

cursed_prophet

The ram was great, up until i bought another pair and realize that my first set of ram had very dull and dim leds almost like they are about to die, very dim with the lens installed with the light bar upgrade kit too i have included a photo of the pair next to the good pair to show comparison it is very noticeable, the pair I bought on Wednesday the 18th of September are working perfectly and the white lens is nice and frosty and misty looking which is what is intended of the light bar upgrade kit how the same result isnt there with my first i with the light bar upgrade kit, i have tried moving the dull/dim lit ram to other ram slots with no difference so i can rule out my mother board pair please assist me as these ram sticks are not cheap and expensive so i would really like to have the proper effect of the lights working too, specially when siting next to the well lit misty looking one the two dull ram sticks are very noticeable, i have also attached an image which is "imag0636" which show the dull even with the blue lens installed , also an image from a bit further away so as to see the very un appealing difference in led strengths

thanks guys :S

attachment.php?attachmentid=13253&stc=1&d=1379496248

IMAG0635.thumb.jpg.9a781dea4942852f3dcd1bdb3c479ef1.jpg

hey peanutz94

ye iwasnt expecting them to have many complaints but to be honest i love them looks and performance and dont want to buy another brand or model so i think your right just rma and grab a working set :) and not a big deal as i can survive with 8gb while rma in progress i guess lol, its weird though as i know LED's have a long life compared to other lighting methods and this old" pairs isnt at all that old months at best but ye maybe i am the unlucky one who the a bad pair lol anyway no biggie

No worries. I find it odd that both sticks would be dim. I'm wondering if they didn't just change the LED's they use in them in the newer modules.

To me it looks like you have one set of blue and one set of white. I'm wondering if you changed just the lenses if it wouldn't be any different.

i to find this to be weird but i mean, shouldn't it be noted like maybe saying these are Version 2 or something to indicate change. (not angry with corsair if this is the case) but ye would be good to have an indicator so as ppl dont get confused, but then again maybe they are the same memory and not a revamp and i just got a spoiled pair :S

i bought them to have pretty much matching performance but at the same time, I didnt think they would look so different and (to be honest) ugly lol due to the different light strengths lol, anyway how taking the older pair back today to retailers to check,

i to this minute cannot believe how awesome the new ones actually look and how i was so mislead as to what i was missing out on in terms of "this is what they are meant to look like"

. i always thought that was how they are meant to be but apparently they are meant to be so much more brighter lol, its funny because i would have never known i had this issue if i didnt buy another pair to make a total of 16gb, if i didnt i would have assumed that my dimmer pair were perfectly fine ,

as they dont seem to be malfunctioning "memory " wise and performance, so i i mean they still work, i would just like to have they working not only memory wise but looks wise specially after forking out to buy the light bar upgrade kit lol

anyway im jsut about to leave to return them but again thank you dude for the feedback, also it was very hard to find this issue on the web as it seems no one has had this problem so your right about the weird it being the first time you heard of it :)

ok so just got back and my retailers have been so awesome they saw the images on my phone and tested themselves on their own mobo and saw that ye it was clearly dim and gave me brand new mem sticks and also gave me back my light bar stuff which silly as i was forgot to remove before returning the kit, anyway got home and chucked in the new sticks on to find the lights are still dim...........i was like oh no!, anyway took out all the ram this time and removed all the light kit to make the bare sticks as i thought hey might as well try not have such a big light difference if i just run the stick stock, anyway when i removed the light bar i noticed something, the damn plastic lens holder are different shades .........................ye no joke and heres a pic of the two plastic insert holders side by side under a white torch .

please hit link to overclock.net as i cant seems to upload images on the forum***

link is

http://www.overclock.net/t/1427577/dominator-platinum-ram-1866mhz-light-kit-help

so back to retailer to tell them that corsair HAVE indeed changed the lens holder material without notice :S

• 2 weeks later...
ok so just got back and my retailers have been so awesome they saw the images on my phone and tested themselves on their own mobo and saw that ye it was clearly dim and gave me brand new mem sticks and also gave me back my light bar stuff which silly as i was forgot to remove before returning the kit, anyway got home and chucked in the new sticks on to find the lights are still dim...........i was like oh no!, anyway took out all the ram this time and removed all the light kit to make the bare sticks as i thought hey might as well try not have such a big light difference if i just run the stick stock, anyway when i removed the light bar i noticed something, the damn plastic lens holder are different shades .........................ye no joke and heres a pic of the two plastic insert holders side by side under a white torch .

please hit link to overclock.net as i cant seems to upload images on the forum***

link is

http://www.overclock.net/t/1427577/dominator-platinum-ram-1866mhz-light-kit-help

so back to retailer to tell them that corsair HAVE indeed changed the lens holder material without notice :S

looks like the dim lenses aren't reflecting the light across the bar?

Archived