Corsair Community

H100i V2 & Maximus VIII Hero

AlphaJeun

Hey all,

So I finally got all the parts to my build. For the H100i V2, it says to connect the pump power cable to the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard.

The Maximus VIII Hero mobo has a header called W_PUMP. Should I be putting it on the W_PUMP header instead?

Based on the 2 headers and how the guide/peg is on those headers, the W_PUMP header has the GND unused based on the pump's 3 pin connector, whereas CPU_FAN would be missing out on the CPU FAN PWM pin if I aligned the connector and guide/peg on the CPU_FAN header.

Maximus VIII Hero Manual - Headers are on page 52/194 (or page 1-36)

Thanks for any help!

Why do you feel you should use W_PUMP given the H100iV2 is a controller that controls a pump rather than a pump?

You need to supply the H100iV2 with a constant +12 volts and I advise you to use the CPU_FAN header. Note you must disable CPU_FAN control in the BIOS.

There is nothing super special about the W_Pump header. It is a standard CHA fan header with an option to disable fan control to lock the voltage supply at 12v. The other CHA fan headers have this too, although it takes on more step. It's re-naming and re-location is more useful for people with a traditional 1 lead for pump, 1 or 2 leads for fans type of power arrangement or for those that do not wish to use Link and want motherboard control of their radiator fans.

You have to have something on CPU_FAN to boot up. Unless you put another set of case fans (or the radiator fans) on the CPU/OPT header, you will want the H100i v2 there. As mentioned above, the pump needs 12v to operate (with or without fans) and you will need to set the Q-Fan control to Full Speed and PWM in the E-Z BIOS or set it to "Disabled" in the Advanced BIOS -> Monitor Tab. Both accomplish the same thing. Also, remember the OPT header is a mirror of the CPU fan header. Don't use it for another case fan unless you want it to run 100% all the time.

Thanks red-ray/c-attack. I ask for clarification cause this is my first experience with water cooling of any sort. Also, I wasnt sure about the "missing out on the CPU FAN PWM pin if I aligned the connector and guide/peg" and the importance of that particular pin. Your rationales, although different, make sense.

When disabling CPU_FAN control in BIOS what is that doing? Ensuring that its a constant 12v?

When disabling CPU_FAN control in BIOS what is that doing? Ensuring that its a constant 12v?

Two things: 1) Ensuring there is a constant 12v supply; 2) Immunizing that fan header from system wide fan or power control measures like those found in AI Suite, Fan Xpert, or the EPU power saving mode. Those controls can override a manual setting for 100%, but not when set to "Full Speed" (E-Z BIOS term) or disabled (Advanced BIOS language). I also would recommend the CPU fan header when you first try this out because it is will stay locked at the 12v. On my X99 platform, sometimes the CHA fan header curves will be scrambled after a BSOD or other event, even when set to Full Speed. This is something you are more likely to encounter when first overclocking your system.

Archived