Corsair Community

Stock Airflow Pattern for the 800D...??

Razmo

Hi guys,

I'm trying to understand the stock airflow pattern inside the 800D. Dooes anyone have a picture illustrating the airflow direction using arrows?

Also, is the PSU fan generally act as an exhaust fan, therefore sucking air into the PSU and exhausting it out the rear. Is that accurate? I assume they all basically operate the same...

Thanks,

Raz

The bottom area of the case is the main intake. The PSU will pull air in through the vent and vent it out the back. Most do this via a bottom mounted fan, some via rear mounted fans.

The 140mm fan in the divider will pull air from the bottom chamber into the main area, for it to be expelled through the rear 140mm. The HDD cooler fan will also pull air from the bottom, this air flows across the harddrives and behind the motherboard tray to be expelled out the vertical vent on the back.

I've personally changed the flow, pulling air in through the rear 140mm as well as the bottom, and expelling it via low RPM 120mm fans on the top vents. The rear fan has an aftermarket filter on it I bought seperately, and one of the top 120mm fans is set of push/pull fans on a Corsair H70.

Very helpful, thanks.

Have you had a look at the liquid cooling configuration of the 800D PC pictured on Corsair's website? I assume they must have configured the top mount radiator fans as exhaust fans. Therefore, cooling the top mount radiator using the air inside the case. Sort of doesn't make sense to me.

How do you like your H70? I picked one up myself. However, I have not opened it. I'm now thinking I might return it and cool the CPU with a single loop CPU and GPU configuration on a triple 120mm radiator. However, I'm still not sure what I want to do. I'm wondering if I'll truly see better cooling results on a single loop for both the CPU and GPU versus the H70 on the CPU and a dual 120mm radiator loop for the GPU only.

What do you think?

Raz

The H70 is great. Corsair recommend fitting it as an intake, but I currently have it set up as exhaust. It's cooling my i7 920@4.2Ghz just fine, and while it now seems to top out in the low 80s on Prime95, it's a lot better than it used to be! CPU could still do with some lapping, too.

I eventually intend to watercool both my GPU (GTX 470) and CPU properly, though it'll have to wait a little while yet. I'll likely go with a dual loop, with a 120x2 in the bottom of the case for the CPU/NB and a 120x3 in the top for the GPU - this will accommodate a second GPU in the future.

Your choices really depend on what you plan to do in the future - it pays to put in some thought as to how you want to expand. For example, you could start off with the 120x3 in the top for the GPU and CPU, with a modest overclock, and later fit another radiator to accommodate more heat. Alternatively, you could fit a 120x2 or a 120x3 for the GPU and have the H70 on the CPU for now. I wouldn't recommend going too heavy on a single radiator with both CPU and GPU on the same loop, it would get quite toasty I expect.

Sounds we're like we're thinking similarly ;).

I figured a single loop top mount triple is my best choice given my intent to go SLI, as well as a performance advantage. I intend to cool a single GPU for now as well, but she's an EVGA GTX480 Super Clocked. I'm thinking I may return it and pick up a their Hyrdo variant instead, just read it about it today. It comes equipped with a Swiftech block and heat sink. It's pricey, but about the same as the cost as the super clocked 480 and a DD block without a heat sink. For some reason, Swiftech isn't selling the block for the 480. I'm thinking it must have something to do with EVGA.

Another interesting option looks to be Swiftechs H20-320 Edge cooling kit. (x3 120mm). Have you seen it? They illustrate a single loop SLI/CPU configuration. Cooling results look pretty decent. What did you say your best CPU temp is with H70? Celsius?

Are you enclosing with a 700 or 800D? It would be nice if they allowed for a dual radiator config (for dual loop) at the front bottom of the case. I don't see this case being capable of an efficient dual loop without having to cut the case up down front. I'm thinking of return my 800D to...

Raz

Archived