Corsair Community

AX860i random red light shut down

Marzi

My AX860i died and I have received a new replacement AX860i via RMA. The replacement PSU shuts down with a red light. This seems to be random as I've been unable to find the cause of the shutdown.

When it shuts down the red light on the PSU stays on. The standby light on the motherboard and LAN lights also stay on. The power button does nothing.

If I turn off power to the PSU for 1 minute then turn it back on the self test light stays off and the standby light and LAN lights on the motherboard turn on. After pressing the power button the PSU clicks and fans begin to spin, then power goes off and the red self test light on PSU turns on. Standby light and LAN lights are still lit on motherboard. Power button then does nothing until turning off mains power again to clear the red PSU light. Same problem repeats after mains power is turned back on.

To get it working again I have to turn off mains power to clear red self test light. Then wiggle a modular cable PSU plug or link dongle connector cable, doesn't matter which cable. Turn mains power on. Computer will then power on normally.

Sometimes leaving it turned off for long enough, 5 minutes or so, will get it working. Sometimes it doesn't. Wiggling a cable at the PSU connector will always get it going straight away even if the PSU is only turned off for 5 seconds.

It shuts down under load or idle. Can take anywhere from 2 minutes to 30 minutes, but it usually only takes a few minutes. Shuts down at temps anywhere from 25C to 50C. It was stable under load for over 6 hours once, then when I turned it on the next day it shut down with a red light again.

I've tried:

Reinserting PSU modular cable connections.

Moving modular cables to different PSU plugs where possible.

Setting PSU fan to max speed.

Disabling OCP.

Disconnecting the Corsair Link dongle.

Any suggestions on further troubleshooting or what may be causing this issue?

Attached are some SIV and Link screenshots from the one time it was stable under load for more than 6 hours.

1415126100_Hardwarestatus170904.thumb.png.d75744c3e182e61da8e7635277203e91.png

1372696346_Linkpower170904.thumb.png.1737f29154f91392593124d78c5837c6.png

173923025_Sensordebug170904.thumb.png.9ae9069278c985bc6c77305b374d7730.png

1736595068_SIVmainpage170904.thumb.png.e712779b5a04e375932db00b4a27a097.png

Attached are some SIV and Link screenshots from the one time it was stable under load for more than 6 hours.

Your new AX860i has later firmware and I needed to adjust the SIV OCP reporting to allow for this.

If you update to the beta (Menu->File->Download->SIV Beta) and post new [Link Power] (CL4 power on same screen) + [Link Status] screen shots these may provide some insight.

What is connected to each of the PSU PCIe outputs?

Just jumping in here with real fast - I highly recommend that users would bench with Unigine or 3DMark as the results are more realistic and are within usable values. It will still tax your card, but no more than any triple A game currently in release, as well as keep your temps at a realistic usage level.

With that said, I believe this new unit that you've received might be defective. Contact our support team again and they will assist you.

Thanks Corsair Blake, I've submitted a support ticket.

Thanks red-ray, I've updated to the latest beta and attached screen shots.

PSU PCIe connections are:

PCIe #1 - CPU - 8 pin EATX12V

PCIe #2 - Video card 6 pin

PCIe #3 - Video card 8 pin

PCIe #4 - No connection

PCIe #5 - No connection

PCIe #6 - No connection

In the beta I noticed it reports the OCP settings correctly (all enabled and set to 40) until I run CL4. If I go into Link Power after starting CL4 they all report as being set to 20. If I change any OCP settings in CL4 then go into Link Power it continues to report all enabled and set to 20. It does the same after closing CL4. If I reboot then look at Link Power prior to starting CL4 they all report as being set to 40.

I played around with PCIe 4-6 in CL4 disabling OCP and changing the amp setting and rebooting. They're all set back to enabled and 40 but SIV is now only showing all enabled and 20, even after a reboot.

1493441582_LinkPower-idle-170912.thumb.png.36ae9d9ac04a4e1df8c98cc59344c3fd.png

1167249753_LinkStatus-idle-170912.thumb.png.9a20b5c4eec6273adbf21a4c871dd3b7.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=31090&d=1505211442

1. In the beta I noticed it reports the OCP settings correctly (all enabled and set to 40) until I run CL4.
  2. If I go into Link Power after starting CL4 they all report as being set to 20.
  3. If I change any OCP settings in CL4 then go into Link Power it continues to report all enabled and set to 20.
  4. It does the same after closing CL4.
  5. If I reboot then look at Link Power prior to starting CL4 they all report as being set to 40.

I played around with PCIe 4-6 in CL4 disabling OCP and changing the amp setting and rebooting. They're all set back to enabled and 40 but SIV is now only showing all enabled and 20, even after a reboot.

Thank you, SIV is now correctly reporting the OCP settings. Looking on [Link Status] your PSU reports the V0.0.01 firmware which confirms it has the later firmware.

1. SIV only reads the OCP settings when [Link Power] is initially opened and I would expect them all to me 40 as they are.
  2. I suspect they were initially all 0 and SIV changed them to 20 on the first update after 1 second, did it?
  3. I suspect CL 4.8.2.1 has changed them from 40 to some other value and it should not have done this :eek:.
  4. I see similar effects with my AX1500i and posted http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=917459 about this, but as yet Corsair have not commented.
  5. The member who started that thread seems to have very similar issues to what you are seeing.
  6. I suspect that the limit is actually set by CL4 to 20 rather than 40 amps and when the CPU takes more than 20 amps there is an issue.
  7. Does CL4 report a firmware version for your PSU on it's [Devices] panel and if so what is it please?
  8. 12 x 6 = 72 and I am at a loss as to why CL4 is reporting 32 watts for the 12V Output.
  9. I don't have the test equipment I would need to confirm my theory and am hoping Corsair look into this.

2. Computer has been off for a while, SIV is again reporting all enabled and 40 after booting and these values are present when Link Power opens. After starting CL4 if I go into Link Power the values initially show 0, then they change to 20 after 1 second. This behaviour continues after closing CL4 and after a restart. To get it to report all enabled and 40 again I have to shut down and switch the power off on the PSU for a couple of minutes.

6. My computer shuts down even if I don't run CL4, and also with the link dongle disconnected from the PSU.

7. CL4 reports firmware version N/A

1. Computer has been off for a while, SIV is again reporting all enabled and 40 after booting and these values are present when Link Power opens.
  2. After starting CL4 if I go into Link Power the values initially show 0, then they change to 20 after 1 second.
  3. This behaviour continues after closing CL4 and after a restart. To get it to report all enabled and 40 again I have to shut down and switch the power off on the PSU for a couple of minutes.
  4. My computer shuts down even if I don't run CL4, and also with the link dongle disconnected from the PSU.
  5. CL4 reports firmware version N/A

1. Good.
  2. Thank you, I am pleased to hear I was correct.
  3. AFAIK the values will be unchanged until the system has been unplugged for a while. This is what I see for my AX760i.
  4. What was SIV reporting when it did this 0/20 or 40? Do you see the issue when SIV is reporting 40? If so then I feel there may also be an issue with the PSU hardware.
  5. Thank you, I was half expecting it would and wished to know is SIV reported the same. I feel CL4 should report your AX860i firmware version.

4. What was SIV reporting when it did this 0/20 or 40? Do you see the issue when SIV is reporting 40? If so there I feel there may also be an issue with the PSU hardware.

SIV was reporting 40.

Unlucky if it is a hardware issue. I am really hoping I don't need to send this one back as it was very expensive to send my original PSU for RMA. Will see how things go with my support ticket.

I am having the same problem. I'm convinced that it is due to the Corsair link dongle and the software. A few days ago I upgraded to the latest Link software and this behavior started. The computer would stay on longer than you (anywhere between 4-26 hours) but would eventually shut off or reset. Today it was doing it every 10 minutes. As soon as I unplugged the link dongle from the PSU the problems went away. I had the same issue a month or 2 ago when Corsairs newest version of Link installed a driver that wasn't digitally signed. The PSU would constantly shut off. As soon as I uninstalled the software the problem went away. It seems bizarre that a driver could cause a PSU to shut off but if you look there are other people on this forum with the same problem.

Archived