Corsair Community

Corsair Force SSD 240gb LS Slow Writing

Winfried

Hi,

I have a Corsair Force GT 120gb in my system for over a year and it runs fine no problem whatsoever.

So now i did decide to get me another SSD, to install games and such on it and i choose a Corsair Force 240gb LS SSD.

I build it in fine, but that thing is SLOW to save stuff. So i went around here and got me that ATTO Benchmark and let it ran on my 120gb SSD, the 240gb SSD in question and my 3tb normal HD for fun.

I added Snips of the Benchmarks for the 120 and the 240 one, and its easily visible that the 240 Force LS reads fine ... but writing apart from the 128.0 branch its under 100mb/s. The 120 Force GT pushes good 500mb/s writing.

Now i got another PC standing around here ... my Wife's, with my old mainboard in it ... and i had the SSD in question in there writing to it fine. I just save me the trouble for now, to get a ATTO check of the SSD in question in her PC as moving a couple 1gig+ files onto the 240gbSSD did work as intented(meaning quick as supposed).

So now here is the question, why does that SSD work perfect on one mainboard, and writes like a cripple in another?

The mainboard i use is a Asus M5A97 LE R2.0, and my Wife's mainboard is a MSI 760GM - P23

Oh, and yes, i checked my Bios that the Sata runs AHCI.

120gbSSD.PNG.2b6750982e3cf57ce22e2499f041e3e2.PNG

240gbSSD.PNG.5ee56438f3c2f805464f79a012e463ad.PNG

So, me again. I was in the meanwhile, testing the drive in my Wife's PC usint that ATTO and got surprised.

First i checked the bios of my Wife's PC, which has as mainboard a MSI 760GM - P23 in it, where i could not find any Sata option for AHCI in it.

So i went on to just start it, and let ATTO run, and to my surprise ... its not running max there either. According tohttp://www.corsair.com/en/force-series-ls-240gb-sata-3-6gb-s-ssd-b it should have Read 560mb/s and Write 320mb/s but i only seem to get 200(still better then in my PC).

DOes that mean that drive has a hardware problem or did i miss something?

42467389_240gbSSDWifesPC.PNG.f939f3b0a944d19bcee035ab79917d99.PNG

Do you have the latest BIOS installed and chipset drivers?

Have you tried a different SATA data cable and data port?

Secure erase the SSD then re-run ATTO.

You should be seeing the SATA III (Corsair spec.) speeds on your motherboard and SATAII numbers (~200-240MB/S) on your wife's computer as it is a SATA II chipset.

To No#1, i don't know about that, i be live i updated the mainboards bios about a year ago when i set this whole machine up.

To No#2 For the ATTO test i ran yesterday i didn't change the cable or Sata port the drive was on, but when initially testing out the drive(without ATTO, just by my stoneage method of trying to moving some 1gig files over to it)i switched Sata cables and ports connected ... with no difference in result.

To No#3 You mean that i use the "Secure Wipe" option in the Corsair SSD Toolbox right? I already did that twice, but i will try that again too.

Yeah ure right, i just checked the Mainboads package, and indeed its a Sata2 as it states that it has 6 x SATA 3GB/s ports.

This means its working fine on my Wifes PC, as ATTO shown me stable 200-210 write and 210-220 Read in that last test(just check the snip from my 2nd post).

Edit: I checked the Bios of my Mainboard, it says 0601 x64, 07/17/2012

I need to check if thats the latest or not.

Edit2: I updated my Bios from 0601 to 2601 if i see that correct, its a 2015 bios, where the other one was a 2012 one. I ran another ATTO, and this time it reached values Writing similiar to my Wife's PC, 200~. Now i did a Secure Wipe, and reset it up, and am running another ATTO test.

Which just finished, still somewhat weird. Writing its at 300, reading it reaches 500. I add a Snip of it.

2601.PNG.82a2e33168b065b9ed94a2c239d38214.PNG

So, now i took a set of different Sata cables, plugged the 240gb drive into the sata slot #1 on the board(where the other drive is plugged in normally) and i plugged the 120gb(perfectly working) drive into sata port #2 on the board and run a ATTO.

So my 120gb drive runs perfect, 500 Read and 400 Write, however the 240GB one gets to 500 Read fine ... but Write is still stuck at 300'ish.

By now i tested it at each of the 6 sata ports on my mainboard and though after the Bios update it went up in Write speed considerably ... but still not works at max speccs.

So now i updated the Bios, its 2601 now, i installed upgraded Chipset Drivers, exchanged cables for the Drive in question and tried out all of the 6 Sata ports i have on that mainboard. That Drive just caps out at 330 max write ... while it has 500-550 Read. On my wifes PC, due to her mainboard being a Sata2 it works according to the mainboards max, but in my PC it just not get up to what its supposed to be.

And that all the while my old SSD which is a Force GT 120gb pushes solid 450 Read and Write(and i guess even higher if i Trim it again).

I might add, this is the 3rd drive i got. The first 2 , after a reboot, showed me SMART status failures and where bricked without being used at all and this one here not works at max specs. Well, i give up on that drive, i probably send it back and get my money back, not worth all the troubles so far. The 120gb SSD i have ... plug in, Initialise ... Format and good to go, this version SSD just bugs around and not want to work right. Whatever.

Thank you very much Toasted, I assumed that the two Drives share the speeds(since they're both Sata3), but to think of it somewhere there HAS to be a difference in the Drives to justify the price difference.

I guess its the Write Speed in this comparasion, since they both max up at read 550 but the Black one has 320 Write while my old Red one 500.

I guess this closes it then, the drive works fine after a Bios Update, thanks again Toasted!

Archived