Corsair Community

H100i GTX Noise and Bad cooling...

UK_SPAWN

Hi all,

I purchased a H100iGTX in July 2015 and its been really awesome until recently. (like 55-58c on 100% use with a 4.5ghz (22%) OC and 18c idles)

When I start my PC now, I hear a ticking sound from the pump area, like there are some 'bits' in the block, as the water starts to circulate it goes away.

But that's not the worst bit. My temps are all over the place to the point that my system sometimes just shuts down as its exceeding the temps of my CPU (FX series 8320 - shuts down when it jumps to the 70-80c mark randomly).

Now, I have found a temporary "fix" to this that involves giving the tubes a good tap with something. then the temps drop 10c back to "normal" but slowly and surely they return back to abnormal values.

I see that CLC /AIO coolers have a 5 year warranty and assume this will still be under it. Before all that though is there anything that I can do at home? I really don't want to be without my PC while its sent off etc.

I know they are not supposed to be user serviced but usually there is a way even if its not recommended/approved. I think draining and refilling it would fix it honestly.

Any advice or help appreciated. If all i can do is return it however can i get some help with that.

Cheers.

SPAWN

EDIT: Im in the United Kingdom btw.

When I start my PC now, I hear a ticking sound from the pump area, like there are some 'bits' in the block, as the water starts to circulate it goes away.

But that's not the worst bit. My temps are all over the place to the point that my system sometimes just shuts down as its exceeding the temps of my CPU (FX series 8320 - shuts down when it jumps to the 70-80c mark randomly).

Now, I have found a temporary "fix" to this that involves giving the tubes a good tap with something. then the temps drop 10c back to "normal" but slowly and surely they return back to abnormal values.

Unfortunately this seems to be a commonly reported fate for that specific series cooler. It is near certain you have some kind of blockage forming preventing the coolant from circulating. The pump noise could be mechanical, but more likely the effect of the back pressure from the blockage. You give it whack, things dislodge, but obviously there is no where for it to go so the it will occur again. You need to replace the cooler.

Yes, this is covered by the warranty and Corsair will replace it -- right up until you chop it up trying to solve this. I strongly advise against this, unless you view this as a science project and intend to buy a new cooler rather than RMA. Everything about these coolers makes them difficult to take apart and I often feel the OEM does it deliberately. So theoretically, you could take it all apart, flush out the coolant and methodically clear the gummy debris that is likely inside, then put new coolant in, and then... no air valve, fill point, and the everything has to be done through the pump head. You will trying to screw down the screws that got mangled while trying to remove them, while not spilling all the coolant you put it. It would probably be easier to splice the tubing and add a fill point/drain valve, but then why go this trouble and expense for a 4 year old AIO that could kick the bucket mechanically tomorrow. Your choice, but having taken a few of these apart, I never trusted them again to go back into a case. It was just to see what was inside.

Thanks for the reply. I will return the cooler. As i brought it on amazon (from amazon EU SARL) how do i show proof of purchase and go about sending it back.

Cheers again.

Looking on amazon I have found my invoice. But i cant return it through amazon there is no option to do so.

So i need to call corsair and arrange it?

Oh never mind you can do it online :)

RMA request sent with PDF invoice.

Archived