Corsair Community

Studio 1558 does not boot after RAM Upgrade

amogh

Hello,

I had posted my issue earlier in this thread : http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=114610 but realised the chips are different. My issue is similar though

I tried to upgrade my Dell Studio 1558 laptop with a Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (2 x 4 GB) Laptop RAM (CMSX4GX3M1A1600C9) The memory size is recognized within the BIOS but I'm not able to start Windows. It just asks me if I want to repair it or start windows normally. Every time I try to start Windows normally it just reboots itself.

Mixing old and new memory modules does not work. Using only one memory module does not work either.

When using the old 4GB memory Kit (2GBx2), everything works fine. Also, running memtest on the new memory from a bootable USB stick crashes the computer after a couple of seconds while it works correctly on the old memory.

Operating System is Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Attaching CPU-Z screenshots.

Thanks for your help.

Amogh

CPU.jpg.ed99d8402f8c190b4d09556a092c8f24.jpg

mainboard.jpg.fe310e437418b82aee0c69520c2214db.jpg

amogh, there is no need to start another thread. The answer and outcome is the actually the same.

The reason I started a new thread is because in the earlier thread THE RAM GUY had asked for CPU-Z screen shots which weren't posted by the original thread starter.

I have posted the required screenshots in this thread AND because the chip in question is a different chip (which I realised AFTER I posted in that thread) I thought of starting a new thread. I had posted the screenshots in the other thread but did not get a relevant response.

The discussions in the earlier thread deviated towards what Corsair should or should not mention in their Product Finder page which is not relevant to the problem at hand (unless Corsair removes listing CMSX4GX3M1A1600C9 as a compatible RAM with Dell Studio 1558)

The vendor is not ready to take the chips back because he thinks it was my responsibility to check the compatibility before completing the purchase. He is not able to accept that it was Corsair's product finder page itself that led me to do the purchase. With my $100 stuck I am hoping for some miracle :)

Archived