Corsair Community

Upgrading from F120 to Force 3 120 GB

As title,

will I see a big improvements from F120 to Force 3 120GB in loading windows and loading apps?

Thanks.

You probably already know this but keep in mind:

F120 is a SATA II drive.

F3-120 is a SATA III drive.

You have not provided your system specs in your profile. If you don't have SATA III you will not notice any difference between these drives. Also loading windows and apps you will not notice much of a difference between them as well. The only time you would tell the difference is through sustained large transfers.

You get more space and same or better performance buying anothet f120 and putting it on raid. Thhen again I dont know about ssd raid. You could buy the new force 3 and use it in raid with old drive. Not sure about that though.

SATA2 = 3 GB/s

SATA3 = 6 GB/s

The above are theoretical speeds but I've seen ATTO figures where the Read/Write speeds of 2xSATA3 SSDs were approx. double that of 2xSATA2 SSDs.

And you cannot RAID a SATA2 and a SATA3 SSD. They have different firmware so they may not work with each other.

Yes obv more is always more. But if he cannot afford two Force 3 I think he gets more by buying another Force 120 and putting it on RAID. More space and about similar or better performance. If money isn't an issue and he is not in a hurry then definitely 2x Force 3.

I think there is only a $20 difference between the old and the new. If money is a problem then just get 1 Force 3. 120GB is more than enough for an OS drive. And add another one when things get better.

I think someone on the other side did a bench and showed that 1 SATA3 was faster than 2 x SATA2 in RAID0.

I think someone on the other side did a bench and showed that 1 SATA3 was faster than 2 x SATA2 in RAID0.

Maybe if it's something other than Corsair SATA3 SSD :roll:

E: oh and though there might be big differences in synthetich benchmarks the real life difference is still gonna be small. Like one second in OS boot. Or less than a second on a application load time. Maybe if you use SSD as storage and move stuff around alot. Or do heavy photo/video-editing keeping your stuff on SSD you see difference. But on basic use the difference isn't big. And personally I'm always looking for more space.

E: oh and though there might be big differences in synthetich benchmarks the real life difference is still gonna be small.

In real life I doubt you would feel the difference between one SATA2 SSD and 2xSATA3 RAID0. But hey, the price isn't that big a difference. And for storage, I don't think you should use SSDs for that. A traditional spinner would be more appropriate. SSDs are mainly for OS and programs. That's where you will feel and appreciate the speed.

RAID0 is nothing of my interest since I loose Trim with RAID.

Supposedly, Garbage Collection (GC) is more important than TRIM. If you lose TRIM in RAID0 you still have GC. All you need to do to get GC going is to idle your drive. TRIM just acts as a marker while GC actually does the work of cleaning the drive.

Supposedly, Garbage Collection (GC) is more important than TRIM. If you lose TRIM in RAID0 you still have GC. All you need to do to get GC going is to idle your drive. TRIM just acts as a marker while GC actually does the work of cleaning the drive.

Ok I will explain myself better: "I'm not interested in RAID"

I think the real life performance boost will be small. But if it doesn't cost you too much go ahead. Here's my Force 3 benches.

http://www.pilipali.info/misc/atto.jpg

http://www.pilipali.info/misc/asbench.jpg

http://www.pilipali.info/misc/force3_poor_results.jpg

1x F3120 will be nearly double the performance of 1x F120.

The issue is that you will only see the big difference on larger file transfers while the opening and closing of programs will be improved it won't be the same performance jump. FYI - the peformance gain starts at 128Mb which is a pretty small file by today's standards.

It would be benifical for you to wait for the F3120 issue to be resolved and get one of them over the F120. The price difference between the 2 drives is not enough to warrant buying the old drive espcially since technology will only get better.

IMO.

Here's F120 CrystalDiskMark results.. seriously.. not a big difference. ATTO gives big readings because it uses compressible data. Most data these days is already pretty compressed so AS-SSD and CrystalDiskMark give you better idea of the real life performance.

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1338/corsair_CDM.jpg

The drive BSOD's in a large variety of systems, it also drops out of BIOS and apparently can only be found again with a cold boot.

thanks for the answer, I really appreciate it, ok just another alpha drive sold as a good one.

I will skip it, thanks for the help and patience.

Archived