Corsair Community

600T mesh side panel window, dust filter ideas?

BPags52

Hello all,

I just ordered the side panel for the 600T that has both a clear window and a mesh insert for installing 120mm fans. I'm going to put 4 120mm fans on it, but I'm wondering about the dust intake. As far as I can tell, the mesh window doesn't act as a dust filter. Seems like it would be a shame for me to allow dust in through the side panel, when the front intake dust filter is so great.

Can anyone recommend a material (and please provide a link) that I can use to create a custom dust filter for the side mesh window?

I was hoping to find a fine screen/mesh type material that I could cut to the size of the window and place that between the window and fans, but haven't had any luck finding something like this. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas on this?

Thanks

Hmm...I'll look into that.

I've been thinking about using a window screen (2-3 layers). I know it won't catch the real fine particles, but should get the bigger stuff, and should be easy to clean.

Hopefully I'll have the new side panel and fans by the end of this week. I'll post an update then.

heh, thanks. I've been looking at the different fan filters sold by fan size, but I was hoping to find something big enough to cover the entire mesh panel window, rather than buying 4 individual 120mm fan filters. I also wasn't sure if I'd have the right size screws to be able to mount the fan filters in between the mesh panel and fans.

something like this would be perfect, if only it was built for the side panel window instead of the top exhaust o fa 650D :(:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13685/ffi-83/DEMCiflex_Corsair_650D_Magnetic_Dust_Fan_Filter_Top_Piece_-_1_Piece.html?tl=g47c223s1024

Also was considering getting 2 of these, but didn't really want to spend $45+ on dust filters.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11723/ffi-51/DEMCiflex_Dual_120mm_Magnetic_Dust_Fan_Filter_-_Dual_Radiator_or_Fans_-_Steel_Aluminum_Plastic_Chassis.html?tl=g47c223s1024

I have a new window screen laying around that's not in use, so I thought I'd try and figure out a way to make that work. But i'll need to have the actual side panel here to experiment with it to figure out if that's a good or horrible idea...

edit: Apparently, that DEMCIflex company will make fans to custom dimensions. Once I get the dimensions for the mesh side panel, maybe I'll have them build me one.

I emailed that Demciflex company (apparently based in South Africa) today to see if they already had the dimensionss for the 600T side panel (it doesn't show up on their website). I already got a response and they said they already had the dimensions for the 600T side panel and emailed me a .jpg of the filter w/ dimensions.

I'm going to order it from them, it'll only be about $30 including shipping. I'm glad I won't have to rig something myself. This filter should look nice on the case, too. I'll email pictures once I get it, which may still be a few weeks out, considering they aren't based in the US.

Demciflex shipped my side panel filter on Friday, hopefully I'll get it this week, but it could take as long as 14 business days. I'll post pics when I get it.

On a side note, I'm really glad I ordered the new side panel with the mesh window. I installed 4 xigmatek crystal series 120mm fans on Saturday and it has made a big difference on my temperatures.

With the solid side panel, my system would idle at around 36 C (processor), 32-36 C (motherboard), and 42-45c (video card). While gaming (on Starcraft 2 and World of Tanks), temperatures would go up to: 45-49 C (processor), 39-42 C (motherboard), and 70-80 C (video card).

Now, with the new side panel and intake fans, I idle at: 30-32 C (processor), 28-29 C (motherboard), 40-43 C (video card). While gaming on same games as above, temperatures rose to: 38-44 C (processor), which isn't even hot enough to get my cooler to kick into full RPM mode, 32 C (motherboard), 60-75 C (video card).

My processor temp also dropped about 6-7 degrees C while running Prime 95 (from 60-61 to 53-54 C)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great job.

I'm a new owner of the 600T (with the mesh side panel by default) and I'm more than thrilled with the specs of this case.

I've just ordered four white led 120mm fans to install upon the mesh like you did. I've also ordered 3 Y-Cable connectors so I can connect the fans to a single fan controller cable, joining 2 fans together and then the two joins into one. I'm planning on using the rest of the three fan controller cables with the front, top and rear fans. I asked the tech support if it should be ok to put 4 fans load on a single fan controller cable and they said that each cable can hold up to 0.5A. Considering that the fans I'm getting are rated to 0.1A resulting a total of 0.4A, I guess I should be ok not blowing the fan controller.

I have a couple of questions for you.

First, how have YOU connected the 4 side fans? On the motherboard? On a spare molex or you did something like my plan? Any pictures of the "inside job" would be most helpful.

Second, my case came with the mesh panel, so I don't have the window alternative. But I would love to have it. I've asked, but it's not sold separately. If yours is just laying around, is there a way I can buy it from you and you send it to Greece? (accept paypal?)

Thirdly, I'm also troubled about the dust intake. So I was wondering if it would be better for the 4 side fans to blow out instead of in. I guess corsair put a filter on every intake fan. So, not putting a filter on the side mesh could suggest that the fans mounted there are supposed to blow out instead of in. I would love if someone could do an overall temperature test both with the fans blowing in and out.

Thank you

Thanks. I connected the side panel fans directly to the power supply with a molex adapter that came with the fans. They are nearly silent so I don't mind having them run at full speed all the time. I used a couple pieces of black electrical tape to hold the wires in place on the side panel.

I can't really comment on how you plan to connect the fans to a controller, since mine are connected to the power supply.

Sorry but I'm not interested in selling the window panel that I have. Plus for me to ship it to Greece, it'd probably just be cheaper to order an extra side panel from Corsair.

If you're worried about dust I'd also recommend ordering a filter from demciflex like I did. I wouldn't use the side panel fans as exhaust. If you do, the air coming in the case from the front intake fan will immediately get pulled out of the case at the side panel before it has a chance to flow over the video card and cpu cooler. Plus, this would give the case negative pressure, which basically means that air will start to get pulled in from other areas where there are no dust filters (PCI slots, etc). My dust filter cost about $28 including shipping to the US from South Africa.

Heres a few pics of my setup, hope this helps. Just make sure you don't pinch the wires when putting the side panel back on.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6447228951_466210aa9c_z.jpg

007 by pags0052, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7015/6447229507_0126bf68e8_z.jpg

008 by pags0052, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7164/6447229981_03dd315940_z.jpg

009 by pags0052, on Flickr

• 4 months later...
Hello all,

I just ordered the side panel for the 600T that has both a clear window and a mesh insert for installing 120mm fans. I'm going to put 4 120mm fans on it, but I'm wondering about the dust intake. As far as I can tell, the mesh window doesn't act as a dust filter. Seems like it would be a shame for me to allow dust in through the side panel, when the front intake dust filter is so great.

Can anyone recommend a material (and please provide a link) that I can use to create a custom dust filter for the side mesh window?

I was hoping to find a fine screen/mesh type material that I could cut to the size of the window and place that between the window and fans, but haven't had any luck finding something like this. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas on this?

Thanks

I've been using my free set on the 600T since November, they work great.

• 4 months later...

I am ordering a 600t this week with the mesh side panel. I will also be getting 4x Xigmatek 120mm 1254 White LED Black(ish) fans for the side mesh with 4x Fanmate 2s. But over all I was wondering how much noise you have running the 4 120mm fans? Also how much more do they add to the cooling?

Thanks,

Joe

I am ordering a 600t this week with the mesh side panel. I will also be getting 4x Xigmatek 120mm 1254 White LED Black(ish) fans for the side mesh with 4x Fanmate 2s. But over all I was wondering how much noise you have running the 4 120mm fans? Also how much more do they add to the cooling?

Thanks,

Joe

Hey Joe,

Sorry for the late reply, I rarely check these forums anymore. Anyway, my side mesh panel fans are quite literally silent. I don't hear them at all. Scroll up to my October 17, 2011, post for more detailed information about cooling.

Archived