Corsair Community

SSD in NAS

jetguat

Home HDD based NAS is going back. one of the two disks is gone. Second time its happened in a couple of years. Considering a new one. Possibly different raid (think its raid 5?, the one using three disks where any one could go out and still be ok).

the way I use the NAS is basically a document, music, photo, video archive. Accessed by home pc's or mobile devices. Its not written to terribly often.

But I'm wondering except for cost. Why would using SSD as the drive be a BAD idea? One thing I really hate about the NAS that I got now, is that its slower than dirt. 10/100 but it seems like it goes soo much slower, and accessing over wifi, its even worse. A new one might have 10/100/1000, but I though SSD would also speed things up. I know frequent read/write might not be the best for SSD.

I dunno any thoughts? Was thinking about a Synology DS412+ with the SSD inside (if thats even possible). Its just a thought I had this evening.

Cost and potentially excessive writes are the biggest problems with using SSDs in a NAS. Since you said you don't write to it very often, cost is going to be the big problem.

With RAID 5, if you use three "disks", your total capacity will be equal to the total of two of the disks. All disks should be the same size (the RAID will only use the capacity from each disk that is equal to the smallest disk) and should be the same kind. You should not mix SSDs and HDDs in an array. Although the Samsung 840 EVO TLC SSDs are proving to have a long life, with a RAID, I would be cautious and use only MLC SSDs to help ensure longer life of the RAID. Since the largest MLC SSDs are only 512GB, that would give you only a bit over a TB of storage in a three disk RAID 5.

Thanks Jeanne. I dont have money to burn (who does right). But NAS is not my forte'. I am reasonable techie, but not about why access to my NAS is just a bad user experience. I doubt I could ever stream medium quality video over it, but less anything higher quality. maybe its more a function of the wifi. Certainly that plays a part. I dont have network sniffers running, maybe the connection from my wifi hot spot to the NAS is running only 10mbs, but even that should be plenty for solid video.

I need better reliability than the old Buffalo Pro station that I got now. I could replace the HDD that went bad, but did that already, and I have issue with power outtages, even with a ups, the buffalo just doesnt seem to like it.

Synology rocks :)

The SSD won't speed up your network connection. In a home environment with little use an SSD in a NAS just doesn't make sense. Your issue is probably related to the network connection, but it can't hurt to reach out to Synology via their helpdesk and/or the users on their forum.

Archived