Corsair Community

Vengeance RGB DDR4 (3000 Mhz) Running at Only 2133 Mhz

GuadamerPlayz

I recently purchased a pair of 8GB Vengeance RGB (16 GB total, 3000 Mhz) and installed it in my PC, a pre-built Alienware Aurora R7. The PC ran just fine after installing the sticks, except that Corsair Link, task manager, and the system configuration apps all said that the sticks were actually running at 2133 Mhz instead of the 3000 Mhz the RAM is supposed to be able to run at. I can't seem to figure out what's wrong or why it's happening. Any idea on how to fix it?

You need to go into the BIOS and enable the XMP function. This is the preset settings to run 3000. All DDR4 memory otherwise run 2133 until you tell them to do something else.

After restarting the PC and checking boot settings, XMP1 was already enabled. Strangely though, when the computer finished booting, the RAM was suddenly running at 2933 Mhz. Not quite the 3000 Mhz I was expecting, but close enough.

Edit: The reason it's now at 2933 Mhz instead of 3000 Mhz is because an i5-8400 processor only allows for a max of 2933 Mhz memory.

Archived