Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-5800C5DF question

Kremtok

Greetings,

Recently I purchased new memory to upgrade my system. For the job, I selected TWIN2X4096-5800C5DF memory, mostly based my past positive experience with Corsair and the 1:1 match of memory speed and CPU FSB. I always thought RAM was very simple to install, simply plug it into the right slot and away you go, but I cannot get the new memory to work with my system. What must I do to make it work? Thank you for any help you are able to provide.

Boot to BIOS with 1 stick, set correct timings / voltage. Shut down, install 2nd stick. Good to go.

Follow as Above. These are the Correct Timings:

SLI-Ready Memory = Disable
CPU Freq. MHz = 266
CPU Muliplier = 9
x FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked
x FSB Memory Ratio = Auto
x FSB (QDR), MHz = 1066
X MEM (DDR), MHz = 1066

[b]Memory Timing Setting[/b]

CL Cas Latency = 5
tRCD = 5
tRP = 5
tRAS = 15
Command Per Clock (CMD) = 2T

[b]Voltages[/b]

Memory = 2.1v

Thank you both for your assistance. After implementing the measures described in your post, the computer will boot.

However, it looks like my memory modules may be defective. Neither will endure a full pass with MemTest without any faults. Both of my current DIMMs perform without flaw during the test. I hope to have the new modules replaced. Would it be best to go through the vendor (Newegg) or through Corsair directly?

Thank you both for your assistance. After implementing the measures described in your post, the computer will boot.

However, it looks like my memory modules may be defective. Neither will endure a full pass with MemTest without any faults. Both of my current DIMMs perform without flaw during the test. I hope to have the new modules replaced. Would it be best to go through the vendor (Newegg) or through Corsair directly?

Both DRAM modules error out when tested singly? This would indicate some other problem. I would go through Newegg first as it is a faster procedure. It is your choice though.

Keep in mind, that if you have both modules erring singly, and you RMA only to find that the same issues occur, your problems are external to the DRAM. Document the serial number of the DRAM (below the version) to ensure the DRAM has been exchanged.

Yes, each module, when tested singly, will come up with errors during the first pass. I considered that it may be something other than the memory, and that's why I tested my old modules. Both of them turned out fine. What else should I consider before asking for a replacement?

Both DRAM modules error out when tested singly? This would indicate some other problem. I would go through Newegg first as it is a faster procedure. It is your choice though.

Keep in mind, that if you have both modules erring singly, and you RMA only to find that the same issues occur, your problems are external to the DRAM. Document the serial number of the DRAM (below the version) to ensure the DRAM has been exchanged.

No, the memory modules that passed without fail are DDR2, 800mhz, 4 4 4 12. These are the ones that are being replaced by the new RAM.

Thank you all again for your assistance.

Then you can not be sure it is the DRAM because you are testing with lower performance modules. Corsair will give you RMA but do not be surprised if the same issue repeats. I would say that the chances it will are very good.

In that case, what else should I be looking at as the root of the issue? I don't want to go through the trouble of replacing the parts if there is something external that will prevent it from working. What else would limit what memory I can use in my system?

Then you can not be sure it is the DRAM because you are testing with lower performance modules. Corsair will give you RMA but do not be surprised if the same issue repeats. I would say that the chances it will are very good.

In that case, what else should I be looking at as the root of the issue? I don't want to go through the trouble of replacing the parts if there is something external that will prevent it from working. What else would limit what memory I can use in my system?

I would test the DRAM in another board that natively supports it. Then I would test the modules singly and in Dual Channel Mode. The issue could well be that the on motherboard memory controller is wonky at high data throughput. Isolation of the motherboard would clarify the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Final update - it seems that the modules that I purchased from NewEgg were defective. After a quick RMA with Corsair, I have received new memory that functions perfectly. The memory works fine with my mainboard, with the speed, timings, and voltage manually input through BIOS. MemTest86 v2.10 shows no errors after 8 full passes.

Thanks to all of the forum members who took the time to help me with this problem!

Final update - it seems that the modules that I purchased from NewEgg were defective. After a quick RMA with Corsair, I have received new memory that functions perfectly. The memory works fine with my mainboard, with the speed, timings, and voltage manually input through BIOS. MemTest86 v2.10 shows no errors after 8 full passes.

Thanks to all of the forum members who took the time to help me with this problem!

Sure thing. You are the anomaly that can happen. Both modules being defective that is.

Good to hear that you are up and running fine. :):

Archived