Corsair Community

H100i V2 w/1600X

MDCX

Hey guys a couple questions

I'm ordering the AM4 bracket for the Ryzen 1600x. It seems to be on back order in most places. Does anyone have some experience with ordering them and how long they take to ship? Currently it's holding up my new build :(

The other question is from what I can see you can (and perhaps should?) plug the cooler directly into your PSU and the USB connection will control fan speed. The reason being in case your motherboard creates uneven voltage surges and causes a short. Does anyone have experience with that? Did you plug everything into the CPU_FAN header?

The motherboard is a a Gigabyte Gaming B350 board. (non 3 version)

NOTE: The 1600x unfortunately does not come with its' own cooler/headsync.

I'm bumping for my second question:

Can I plug the pump into the perif (12V) PSU cable for power? Is that acceptable. Or is it better to go into the BIOS and set the CPU_FAN slot to always be 12V?

I can just throw a case fan onto CPU_Fan slot if the PSU cable is fine.

In response to the second part, it will work if you run a direct lead to your PSU. I don't see any real advantage to this. If you motherboard can't supply 5-10W to a fan header, you have bigger problems and in that instance you are more likely to blow the fan header between the source and pump. You don't see a lot of people with blown fan headers on their motherboards these days, unless they do something silly like hook a 1.5A industrial fan to it. Nevertheless, if you decide to do this, the only thing you are really giving up is a warning if the pump fails. When in CPU fan, you will get the boot error or BIOS message. When on the PSU, you will see your temps shoot up and stay up. So I suppose this depends on how much monitoring you do. I keep something open at all times, so it there isn't much risk. You would still want the USB so Link can see what's going on. This also doesn't change the device current limit, so you can't throw 4 high draw fans on it, just because the PSU can supply more power.

Thanks for the reply :)

I just had heard the H100i (although mine is the V2) had some troubles with blowing out when attached to the mobo so I wanted to clarify if it was safer to attach to PSU directly.

Archived