Corsair Community

Replacement Fan Help

lowfpshighping

Hey guys, this is probably the wrong forum to post but, I have a corsair h110i. i'm planning to buy 3x Thermaltake 140mm fans, and 1x 120 mm fan for my NZXT S340 Elite, so 2 140mm for the rad, and the rest as case fans. Now my question is, will it be possible to connect the ones for the rad to the pump, and the other 2 to the mobo? i'm just scared that maybe, they won't light up in sync, and I won't be able to control their fan speeds. Thanks!

additionally, can anyone recommend me different fans if this set up won't work? thanks again!

i'm just scared the colors won't go in sync since i'm not using the controller.

I not really sure, but suspect they won't and might not light up at all. Most of the time mixing RGB LED products from different makers does not work.

I would get 1 x HD120 + 3 x HD140 RGB LED fans which should work.

Initially you could use the manual controller but you may wish to get a CLCP which can control the case fan speeds and all the LED colours or a CLNP which can only control the LED colours. Both are software controlled.

You will need x1 6 port RGB LED hub that comes with the 2 x HD140 kit.

They will work and are PWM. However, you must use the controller with TT Riing series. It is not optional. The fans use a proprietary 5 pin connection that only fits the control box. You then connect the control box to the motherboard or other source. That also means all fans on the same controller must run the same speed. You will have 2 controllers, 1 from the 3 pack and 1 from the 120 single. The top 140 exhaust will be slaved to the H110i fan speed set in Link where its controller is connected. The 120 will run on its own controller.

The other thing to be aware of is the controller is gated for low/high speed. It is a toggle switch on the controller that allows 400-1000 rpm operation or 800-1500 (more like 1375 on a radiator). This should not affect Link, but is something to be aware of ahead of time. The effective 900 rpm restricted speed on low is not quite enough and the 800 minimum can be a little too high for desktop idle. From a technical standpoint there is no reason to gate the fans this way and it was definitely a mistake in design process. These fans do not move a ton of air and have a characteristic "growl" at most speeds. If you fin any online video of them, you can hear it.

The Riing series do not run in sequence. They do a solid Red, Blue, Green, White, and 256 color "slide". The controller is not accurate enough to keep two different boxes in sync on the slide settings. Even when linked with another 5 pin connector, they would slowly work themselves out of rhythm within a few minutes. If you want complicated adjusting color schemes, you need something else, like the Corsair HD series or the advanced TT Ring set -- something with software. You buy these fans because you love the ring look, otherwise there are better options.

Hello! Thank you for the response! I would just like to ask where I should plug the controller? The h110i comes with fan headers coming out of the pump. Am i supposed to plug it in there, or am I supposed to plug it into the motherboard? I'm afraid I can't get any fans with software cause all my USB ports are occupied by the front usb headers, and the usb from the h110i. Anyways, thanks again and I hope you'd be able to shed some light im my problem!

On the Riing 14, the fans connect to the TT controller. You then connect a the single out-signal line from the controller to one of the H110i fan connectors. I believe both are 4 pin on the H110i, so it won't matter which one.

You will need two of these to make 4 fans work. Maximum 3 inputs. One output. Must have one fan connected on the input with the dot. I have never tried mixing 120s and 140's on a single controller. In theory is should work, but I would want someone from TT to confirm that.

I'll be purchasingg my 140m 3 pack and 120mm single pack by tomorrow! Anyways, what I intend to do, since i'm going to have 2 controllers, Is connect both controllers to the fan headers of my h110i, but i'd like to separate my fans, like in one controller i'd like to have my exhaust fans, and on the other controller i'd like to have my radiator fans. Do you think this could work? Thanks!

I'll be purchasingg my 140m 3 pack and 120mm single pack by tomorrow! Anyways, what I intend to do, since i'm going to have 2 controllers, Is connect both controllers to the fan headers of my h110i, but i'd like to separate my fans, like in one controller i'd like to have my exhaust fans, and on the other controller i'd like to have my radiator fans. Do you think this could work? Thanks!

That would be a logical way to do it and likely what I would do as well. Therefore in the S340 you would have the radiator 2x140 on one controller and the rear 120/top140 on another. As I referenced earlier, the controller is universal for both 140 and 120mm fans. There is no different version that comes with a 120mm pack. Thus in order for it to work, 3x120mm fans need to pull roughly the same current as 3x140mm fans. For the manufacturer, the usual way to tweak this is through fan speed adjustment so current draw comes out the same for the different sizes. So, I know with certainty the controller can handle 120 or 140 fans, but I have never tried mixing them. It should not matter, but the people to as about this are at Thermaltake. **I still haven't put mine away yet from when I took them off two weeks ago, so it was simple job to throw 1x140 and 1x120 onto a controller. They work and change speed and color fine, but obviously that is a long way from a full run through with multiple re-starts, wakes, and normal use.

Also, since you are about to order this is the last chance to make sure we are talking about the same fan. Thermaltake markets 4 different "Riing" fan series, from the original mono-color 3 pin DC model, to the RGB PWM version I hope we are talking about, and then two more recent "Plus" versions that are software based. Make sure you get the right one when you order.

Sorry for being annoying, but i'd just like to clarify something. So basically my set up goes, Fan -> Controller -> H110i Fan Header? Thanks!

Yes, and it will make sense when you have it in your hands. Since the fans are 5 pin, you won't be able to plug them in anywhere else. Also, since the exhaust 120 and 140 will be on the same controller, you will only need one motherboard header for the pair.

You linked the right fans originally. The above was more of a warning. When I went to get the current draw numbers last night (the cheap boxes are long since destroyed), I noticed several retailers had lumped the entire array of the line into one pot. It would be very easy to get them mixed up. Trying to differentiate the RGB version from the original mono-color DC version by model number is perilous.

Archived