Corsair Community

CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 will not boot to BIOS

Cyphon32

I have just purchased and installed and extra 4GB (2x2GB) into my computer, but with the new modules installed the system will not even boot to BIOS.

I have a Shuttle SX48P2 with 4GB of the same memory already installed and running fine for 3 years. The only difference between the sticks is that the old ones are ver 9.1 and the new ones are ver 2.12. Can that make a difference, or is there something simply wrong with these new sticks? There was no option to choose between version numbers when I made my purchase.

I have attempted to install only the new 4GB, but the system will not boot to BIOS if either of the new sticks is installed in any configuration.

Any ideas if this is a compatibility issue or just bad sticks?

The Intel X38, and X48 chipsets only support memory made with 128 By 8 memory IC's

Hi Cyphon, Unfortunatly Corsair does not suggest or support mixing of kits for this very reason. Modules can be incompatible with eachother based upon the chips used in the construction of the modules. And there is no way to specify version when you order them. Once stock is depleted they are gone for good. Even if you could find someone out there that had old stock with the same version number your chances really wouldn't be much better.

You should always buy the capacity you want right off the bat and use one single matched kit.

With that said i do have an explanation as to why the modules are not working at all. The X48 chipset is limited to modules constructed from 128x8 IC's The modules you have are 256x8 IC's So they would be incompatible.

To be honest I'm not sure how much luck your going to have finding modules of that construction. Most manufacturers have moved on to the larger IC's. And with the X48 chipset on the way out most are not making modules of this construction.

Well isn't that a kick in the teeth :bigeyes:

Thank you Peanutz for the explanation. I will definitely be mindful of maxing out my memory when building my next machine. At the time when I built this system, 8GB was above what my system could use. I don't think 32-bit XP even used the full 4GB I had in there. When I upgraded to 64-bit Windows 7 I thought adding more memory would be a nice boost.

I'll be returning the memory and chalking it up to a learning experince. :biggrin:

No problem and sorry for the bad news.

At least you are able to get your money back and nothing was lost except a little time.

Although that can get expensive too...if your married! Know what i mean?:eek:

When I upgraded to 64-bit Windows 7 I thought adding more memory would be a nice boost.

Don't give up. Corsair may not have them, but you may find them elsewhere. Just make sure they are of 128x8 construction before you buy them.

Good Luck!

Archived