Corsair Community

CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 on ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula z77

pistolhero

I am getting ready to spend a pretty penny on a new core to my system and wanted to make sure compatibility would be there.

This is from Newegg's Item Description of the CMT16GX3M4X2133C9:

"Ultra-high performance 16GB (4x 4GB) DOMINATOR GT quad kit with Intel XMP 1.3 profile Four matched 4GB modules for use in high performance Intel systems 16GB total capacity provides ample headroom for the most demanding user Outrageously fast 2133MHz performance. Ultra-low 9-11-10-27 latency Intel XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) support Compatible with Intel X79, Z68 and P67 platforms."

This line in the description of the memory model got me worried, but since the chipset I am wanting to use it for is new I was wondering if I could use the following specs:

=================================================================================

Memory: CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 Desktop Memory Model CMT16GX3M4X2133C9

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula z77 (Releasing Mid-May)

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

=================================================================================

Will this memory give me the best performance? Feel free to point me at more of your RAM products.

I know I am asking quite a bit of input being as I bring most of my tech questions here when I am unsure. But I trust the support and buy as much corsair products as I can because of it!

Thanks in advance! I am starting to buy rest of my components so I will only be waiting on my MB! Wanted to check on the RAM first.

Edit: This is going to look beautiful in my Obsidian 800D!

Thanks Peanut that helped a lot. The processor I am looking at says Integrated Memory Controller Speed DDR3 1333 and 1600. Does this mean it will only support this type of memory and I am wasting money to get anything higher?

Thanks for the insight.

Edit: I might have answered my own question but feel free to correct me. My processor will only need up to 1600, and I should get a tighter timing instead of a higher frequency to improve performance.

The processor I am looking at says Integrated Memory Controller Speed DDR3 1333 and 1600. Does this mean it will only support this type of memory?

Not necessarily. That is the maximum speed officially supported. Not to be confused with memory that has been tested or qualified. You can use any module that has been tested for that MB . There are many that are rated for over 1600mhz but you have to keep in mind that any frequency higher than that will require an overclock. Whether done manually or by using the XMP profile that automatically overclocks your memory. It usually overclocks the CPU a little as well to be able to cope with the memory overclock.

I'm not trying to steer you away from the 2133mhz part, those should be able to run at 2133mhz with your CPU/MB. But it will be highly dependent on your individual CPUs memory controller. No two are the same so you have some weaker, some stronger. Even if they came off the line one after an other. So there is a small chance that you get one that just wont overclock as well and will not be able to overclock as high.

A lot of people ask about high frequency memory and do not understand that just because a MB supports some crazy fast memory that in now way guarantees that your CPU will be able to handle it in stock form without overclocking.

I would say get them and enable the XMP profile. I really do not think you will have any problems. Worst case scenario is you would have to reduce the frequency some if the CPU cant handle it. And you could always still run them at 1600mhz if you choose to do that too!

Thanks a ton! This clears up everything for me. The idea that CPUs differ as individuals was something I hadn't taken into consideration before but makes perfect sense.

I am trying to overclock my rig this time around and make my components work together for a change. I usually bought at stock and threw things together. I am starting to get into the enthusiast side of it. Thanks for all the wisdom!

I will pay it forward down the road!

Archived