Corsair Community

corsair 850 rmi coil whine on load

1stoverride

So recently i build a new computer and i used my old psu.

everything worked fine but the fan of that psu was a bit noisy when heating up and getting above 600 rpm.

i decided to get a new psu and after some searching and using some calculators and thinking of future sli i came up with the 850 rmi.

connected all the wires and booted the system and everything was working fine.

did all my cable management and started using my computer. occasionaly i noticed a high pitch wining noise when just browsing. when playing a game or stressing the cpu it gets way worse.

i recorded it with my phone

[ame]

[/ame]

first 20 seconds i am just trying to get the psu and serial number on the screen.

The pc is running at idle and at about 23 second i start the stress test and the birds start singing

i looked on the forum and noticed there are several fixes like cpu energy savings. i tried them all but nothing makes it go away completely.

tried removing my 980ti but that just made the sound less noticable but still louder than the fans

am i just really unlucky here and having coil whine ?

not sure if my system is listed

msi gaming 5

i7 4790K

2 X samsung 850 evo raid 0

1 X ssd 90gb for storing files i cant lose

110i gtx cooler

Corsair Vengeance Pro Series - DDR3 - 16 GB : 2 x 8 GB

msi 980 ti

• Corsair Employee

That's not coil whine. That's rather unique, actually.

I suggest contacting support to get a replacement, but have them do a failure analysis on the return so they can figure out why the PSU is making that noise and ensure future PSUs don't make that noise.

Feel free to link them to this forum thread if they're not clear what the situation is. They know who I am. ;):

I contacted the company where i bought the psu, and they said they will handle the rma and will contact corsair.

They will use the link to this topic for reference

the company gave me the option for getting another 850rmi or getting a different model.

Now i am kinda reluctant in getting another 850rmi somehow due this issue

thinking of switching to the ax860i but googling did not make it any easier.

am i just beeing too cautious/paranoid? will the 860i gaurantee no problems ?

• Corsair Employee

You're being to cautious. It's not a normal noise. I haven't heard that noise on an RM850i before.

Glad that the company you bought it from will handle the RMA for you. The only problem with that is it will never get back to Corsair for analysis.

I just stumbled across this... I have the exact same issue with an RM850I that I just received as a replacement for a faulty RM850. I tried all of the normal tricks (energy saving settings, adjusting voltages etc) nothing worked and it only happens when stressing the CPU even opening web pages or moving the mouse cursor, GPU load had no real effect. I assumed that it was coil whine also... Perhaps there is a bad batch?

• Corsair Employee

The EXACT same noise as in the video or something similar? It's very important you're sure.

If it's the same noise as in the video, than I'm going to tell you the same thing I told the OP: "I suggest contacting support to get a replacement, but have them do a failure analysis on the return so they can figure out why the PSU is making that noise and ensure future PSUs don't make that noise.

Feel free to link them to this forum thread if they're not clear what the situation is. They know who I am."

99% sure it's the EXACT same noise. It is difficult to be 100% as I don't know what the original poster was doing at the time. My unit started sounding like "coil whine" out of the box and has progressed (48hrs) to what sounds like the OP's video.

It is immediate soon as the PC enters windows and then is present unless the PC is completely idle, open chrome and or move the mouse cursor and you get the (for want of a better description) metallic grinding noise. Higher CPU & GPU usage like playing a game yields a slightly lower tone but the noise is still there Could be that the case fans/d5 pump drowns the noise out slightly.

I have an open ticket on this, just waiting for a reply.

Archived