Corsair Community

Trip Chan kit not matched, can't see 6 GB

Plepis

I've had a kit of TR3X6G1600C7D sticks for a couple years now, and noticed they always showed up as 1333MHz instead of 1600MHz, and i was always planning on changing that, but ended up shelving the project due to me being a novice when it comes to hardware, and not finding enough descritive help on Biostar motherboards to do it. I did, however, set the ram timings on "XMP-1" and the voltage on 1.64v (it's either that or 1.66v on my mobo, no 1.65v possible)

Lately, i've noticed my total RAM was showing 4gb instead of 6gb since god knows when.. Worried i had a faulty stick dying on me, went onver to Corsair forums and found Yellowbeard's Post. After following the directions listed there, increasing the vtt voltage in order to leave less than 0.5v difference from DRAM voltage and vtt voltage, i took the chance to increase the bus speed up to 160 to see if i could finally leave the RAM speeds at 1600MHz like they were meant to be.

After rebooting the pc, i noticed windows still shows 4gb of total memory. I installed Memtest on a flash drive and left the test running overnight, with it showing always 4gb of installed memory, even though it detected all 3 sticks of RAM.

Then i installed cpu-z to find out if i had indeed a faulty module or something, and i found something like this:

559461401_RAMtimings.thumb.png.bfadc60e957d9c564dd41ec6d6fccba4.png

Notice the second module has a 1T command rate, and a 15/09 under "Week/year", while the other 2 modules dont? I remember trying to leave an option on BIOS on auto, 1T and 2T and neither change did anything to the listed RAM under windows, even though CPU-z says otherwise:

754030144_windowspanel.png.923f00791a60b6d508093713aee939b8.png

653425824_afterOC.thumb.png.53ff07e9b0d0f6432b4fe48a6ac5f262.png

Could this be the issue? Or is it just a thing that Windows, my BIOS and Memtest miss, but cpu-z doesn't?

Lately, i've noticed my total RAM was showing 4gb instead of 6gb since god knows when.. Worried i had a faulty stick dying on me, went onver to Corsair forums and found Yellowbeard's Post. After following the directions listed there, increasing the vtt voltage in order to leave less than 0.5v difference from DRAM voltage and vtt voltage, i took the chance to increase the bus speed up to 160 to see if i could finally leave the RAM speeds at 1600MHz like they were meant to be.

This is oftyen easily fixed. You need to find a setting in your bios that is called QPI voltage or something similar. You will set this to 1.35v AFTER you have enabled the XMP profile. Then save and exit and see if you have the right amount detected again.

Then i installed cpu-z to find out if i had indeed a faulty module or something, and i found something like this:

RAM timings.png

That is just the SPD information and does not change. For what ever reason that one module is show as 1t, but if the MB is set to run at 2t then that is what it will run at regardless of what that tab says.

Worried i had a faulty stick dying on me,

You can test each stick individually in the same slot with memtest (link on the left side) , with XMP enabled and let each stick run for about 3 passes or untill you get an error.

Your Pic of "after OC,ing" shows the memory running correctly! That is right where it should be.

Basically there is alot of things that can cause your issue. Poorly mounted, or uneven pressure on the CPU cooler, bent pins in the CPU socket, wrong voltage and so on. But see if you can locate the QPI voltage first and go from there.

Thanks, i'll try doing that..

Is the CPU vtt voltage the same as the QPI voltage? From Yellowbeard's post it hinted to be the case

What got me worried during memtest was that i left it running overnight, and it got sth like 9 passes... but still was showing only 4gb instead of 6gb... Even the BIOS POST shows the incorrect amount.

Is the CPU vtt voltage the same as the QPI voltage?

Yes, CPU vtt is CPU voltage. QPI is memory controller voltage.

What got me worried during memtest was that i left it running overnight, and it got sth like 9 passes... but still was showing only 4gb instead of 6gb... Even the BIOS POST shows the incorrect amount.

Dont let it worry you yet. This is a common issue with the X58 chipset. Been through it myself a few times. :) At best it is frustrating, but usually easilly cured.

Your memory seems to be testing out fine despite the discreprency in capacity.

This is what i would do, Load set up defaults with both sticks installed. Enable the XMP profile, and then set your QPI voltage to 1.35v. And verify that the memory voltage is 1.65v or close to it. (Some boards miss out on the 1.65v mark and only give you 1.64, or 1.66v as a choice) and then see if it will boot normally and show the correct capacity.

Archived