Corsair Community

How I increased my airflow and lowered my temps

swalker23

Like a few of you I am air cooling with a heatsink and fan. When I first got my case I installed everything and the temps were reasonable but I didn't like them. To get more airflow into the case I bought a Scythe Kama Bay+.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/swalker23/DSC00456.jpg

I fashioned up a shroud wind tunnel with 4 old fans I had and just cut out the middle with a dremmel. At the beginning and end of the shroud tunnel I have two 87cfm fans, 1 pulls in cold air from outside and the other pulls that cold air from within the tunnel and exhausts it within my case. I tested the distance with my hand and a tissue and it exhausts in range for the heatsink fan to pull it in.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/swalker23/DSC00451.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/swalker23/DSC00453.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/swalker23/DSC00455.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/swalker23/DSC00459.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/swalker23/DSC00460.jpg

Next I replaced the side acrylic window with a mesh one. I also added 2 87cfm fans onto the mesh so it can blow cold air onto my GPUs. If you are handy with a dremmel unlike me you can cut some blow holes into your acrylic window and you don't have to buy a mesh panel. I also drilled two holes and mounted another 87cfm fan with L brackets to blow more air onto my GPU. Plan to go tri sli + physx soon so I need all the air I can get.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/swalker23/DSC00462.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/swalker23/DSC00465.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/swalker23/DSC00473.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/swalker23/DSC00412.jpg

Not sure how much this will help with my GPU temps but I added a 69cfm fan to the rear of my case to suck out vented hot air from the video cards. I just use those side vent holes with 2 screws and nuts to mount the fan.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/swalker23/DSC00475.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/swalker23/DSC00477.jpg

My temps dropped 4-6 degrees in total.

With a i7920 DO OC @ 3.8 and gpu at stock my temps were:

(Early morning room is much cooler)

CPU Idle-40 Load 64

GPU Idle-52

(Affternoon bit warmer)

CPU Idle-45 Load 68

GPU Idle-56

After my modification

(early)

CPU-Idle 34 Load 56

GPU Idle 41

(afternoon)

Idle 40 Load 59

Idle 44

Reminds me of the can do attitude shown in the films from the hedgerow country in France, with the troops modifying their tanks to bust through,make do with what ever you can come up with.

Then I looked at swalkers profile,retired military,should have guessed it sooner.

Thanks to all for your comments

if i'm honest with u i gotta say u have to do a ****load of modification to lower ur temps only that little that its not worth it in my opinion.

though u made some nice work of it!

It really wasn't a lot of modification it only took and hour and 30 minutes of it were finding screws.

All that work and extra noise just so you can avoid watercooling...

Ah well, whatever floats your boat, someone had to do it. If for nothing else, at least to prove that it can be done. And for that you deserve kudos.

I've watercool before and it can expensive some folks don't do it cause of the price. I will venture down water cooling again in the near future.

Another idea crossed my mind while watching video on the H50 cause I'm thinking of trying one is that you can turn your rear exhaust into a intake to blow on your CPU if you get a high cfm fan. Would need some top exhaust fans though and reverse the air flow of the fans on the heatsink. I'll try it out sometime this weekend and see if its any difference.

Good work on the mods swalker23, it's good to see that you took some initiative to get your temps under control.

I had concerns about the stock air cooling as well (I have another thread about this in this forum) so before I even installed my hardware I decided to get some high quality fans and the H50 cooler.

I'm happy to say that by using the H50 and reversing the back fan (I replaced the stock Corsair fan with a 1200rpm 68CFM Scythe), replacing the bottom intake with a 140mm 1700rpm (91.2CFM) fan, and adding two 2000rpm (90CFM) fans at the top for exhaust was enough to give me very respectable temps. I have two GTX 280's in SLI with an OC'ed i7 920 and everything is running cool. CPU temp is around 33 C idle, and around 55 C under full load with Prime95. My hottest GPU can get up to 65 C when doing some heavy gaming, but that's perfectly fine and won't cause any issues. I'm actually running cooler in this case than I was in my last case, and my old case had a 230mm fan blowing directly on my GPU's! It's really amazing how great the airflow is now. I can feel the cool air being sucked in from the bottom whenever I place my hand near the base (I have my case elevated on a table to help with the bottom intake).

So.... I don't think it's quite necessary to drill out the side panel to add extra fans. I myself would not want to do this as it takes away from the sleek and simplistic design that this case has going for it. However, this will no doubt help to keep the GPU's even cooler if that's what someone is going for.

I just wanted to mention something about your modifications. I really love this case and I want it to work with an air flow system, but I would think your mesh replacement might be working against you. I think you need something solid to keep the air channeling. I have order a case tonight and I hope to get it in about a week. I think I will route a hole for a 140ish fan to fit in the side. and see how much it increases the air flow. As of riht now all I have ordered is the case a 1000w corsair PSU and a 760 classified. I want to work out the air flow problems before I finish my system. You did a great job trying to get the air flow problem worked out and I am inpressed with your ideas. Great job friend!

I would like to know what you think about having all that added mesh releasing to much air from your air channels. have a great night.

I'd love to see an image of the case front with the kama bay installed, speaking of which, do you guys reckon that an 4ntec nine/twelve hundred drive cage could fit into there?

EDIT: wow, they really sensored out a/n/t/e/c ^^

I just wanted to mention something about your modifications. I really love this case and I want it to work with an air flow system, but I would think your mesh replacement might be working against you. I think you need something solid to keep the air channeling. I have order a case tonight and I hope to get it in about a week. I think I will route a hole for a 140ish fan to fit in the side. and see how much it increases the air flow. As of riht now all I have ordered is the case a 1000w corsair PSU and a 760 classified. I want to work out the air flow problems before I finish my system. You did a great job trying to get the air flow problem worked out and I am inpressed with your ideas. Great job friend!

I would like to know what you think about having all that added mesh releasing to much air from your air channels. have a great night.

You are kind of right that it is hindering me but is also helpful. While some of the cool air is vented out the hot air is aswell. That is why I'm using high cfm fans so the air can reach its destination to get sucked in. Only one spot I can put my hand on and feel some air coming and that right beside the right most fan hitting the gpu's. I believe thats just some air bouncing back off the side of the gpu's. If it was an acrylic window it would stay in. I would have used an acrylic window instead of mesh but I'm not good at cutting circles with a dremel and my power tool selection is short so work with what you have. I didn't want to pay a store to cut 2 holes for $30+ which is way more than what a acrylic window cost. As long as the air stream is reaching its destination and it is I'm happy. My temps stay low, lower than my old case and thats the main thing.

WOW say over kill:confused::confused:

I have 975 setup running H50 with stock fan and 3 NB fans at the top with stock 140mm.

I have my CPU at 4.2Ghz cores are 37 and on load 75c

My case Temps are 27C 24.7.

You don't need that many fans to drop your case temp only 6C and my system you can't even hear it running with NB fans and stock corsair fans.

I post some pics up.

• 2 weeks later...

Swalker23, RESPECT man! :) Awesome work, but....:

Honestly, do you think after spending $300 you should be going through all this trouble of re-designing the case?

I think that by buying some good Noctua and Scythe fans and reversing the rear one from exhaust to intake should do the job as some users have suggested this...

I love the case and I want to build it as well with air, but no way on earth will go though so much modding :) don't get me wrong...still love your innovative approach :)

Aha I have to agree my $300 case just turned into a $400 case. Kinda wish I had gotten a pc-p08 since its all aluminum and has a bunch of fans. Very happy with the case though looks great and extremely clean. Will post my mods on here once done:)

@ Havox, I don't know which pc-p08 you mean, but the Lian Li PC-A20 goes around for 130-40 bucks and you can replace all fans with Noctua or Scythe and have a great looking, quiet and big case for less than $200 :)

Please don't forget to post your system, temps and noise level once ready :)

Swalker23, RESPECT man! :) Awesome work, but....:

Honestly, do you think after spending $300 you should be going through all this trouble of re-designing the case?

I think that by buying some good Noctua and Scythe fans and reversing the rear one from exhaust to intake should do the job as some users have suggested this...

I love the case and I want to build it as well with air, but no way on earth will go though so much modding :) don't get me wrong...still love your innovative approach :)

I agree with with you %100 and thanks. Most of the stuff I used was laying around the house besides the metal mesh. I only bought that because I screwed up cutting holes in the acrylic and didn't want to buy another acrylic window and have the same thing happen:sigh!:. Changing the rear exhaust into a intake never dawned on me til I was reading about the H50 and how you should set it up. Next time I go into my case I will change the rear into intake and take out the kama bay.

The pc-p80 is a bit too "gaming" and too "busy" for my taste. My favorites are PC-A20, PC-A71, PC-A77 and V2110. Still can't decide which one I want between the Lian Lis and the Obsidian. I'm gonna wait anyway till the i9, sata III and usb 3 are out. Perhaps by then they'll be some revisions of the Obsidian

Wow thats alot of modding. Looks good though! I bought higher cfm 140mm fans and replaced all the slow corsair ones to reduce ambient temps and put a push pull config onto my 360 Feser rad to maintain the same temps I was getting from my old Anne 1200. Worked well enough. kinda loud having the fans on the top now but nothing too bad.

• 1 month later...
wow good job, glad you were able to do it and glad it lowered your temps. the only "mod" i plan to add is a fan right behind the hot swapable panel, i want to add a 120mm tho, i had the idea of using L-Brackets wondering if it would work and you've shown be that it does :D hope theres enough space for a 120mm, i really thing that will improve airflow for graphics cards alot

Archived