Corsair Community

Problems with installing new firmware on p256 SSD

vtrain

I'm trying to update the latest firmware onto my p256 SSD but my computer keeps saying "disk boot failure. insert system disk and press enter"

I've followed the instructions.

The updater doesn't run on boot up.

Is it possible my Mobo can't read ms dos?

Is there something i need to do with my usb jumpdrive?

I would much appreciate any advice. Thx.

My computer specs are as listed below.

ASUS p5n-t mobo

corsair dominator DDR2 6gb

XFX ATI 5870

p256 SSD

First of all, did you create correctly a bootable usb drive?

Here are links that will help you:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=196

They contain all the necessary files to create your bootable usb stick.

Follow the instructions in the pdf file provided with the update tool for the update procedure.

Finally when you boot up press F8 for the bootup selection disk menu to appear on the screen, seeing that you are having an Asus mobo, select the usb boot disk, follow the on screen instructions to continue with the update process.

THanks xpatar.

The USB drive and update tool boots up now.

Now the update tools scans and says no SSD found.

I know the pdf troubleshooting guide says the Drive needs FAT16 file system or partition to be on the drive.

But how do i exactly do this.

I'm have win 7 installed my p256 SSD and when i try to format or make a partition with the disk managment tool, the format option is grayed out.

Your MB can and will boot DOS. If you are getting to the point of the update tool running and just not finding your SSD then you are good to go with your bootable USB stick. Don't mess with that part any more.

Here are things to look at:

1) I doubt this makes a difference but what SATA port is the SSD connected to? Make sure it's a bootable port, not data only.

2) The other thing to check is your BIOS settings for the drive setup. I'm more inclined to think your BIOS drive emulation is not IDE or AHCI.

3) If you've tweaked your motherboard settings, save those settings and then set the BIOS to default.

Please report if you make it work and if so, ensure you report the result to RAM Guy in an email and maybe report it to the Firmware Upgrade Discussion Sticky so others with your configuration or having problems along your line will have a course of action.

-Joe

thanks joe,

i've tried resetting my bios to default settings and no luck.

My drive is connected to a bootable SATA.

My Mobo bios has no option to select IDE or AHCI.

I've emailed the RAM Guy and i guess i'll wait for his response.

THanks xpatar.

The USB drive and update tool boots up now.

Now the update tools scans and says no SSD found.

I know the pdf troubleshooting guide says the Drive needs FAT16 file system or partition to be on the drive.

But how do i exactly do this.

I'm have win 7 installed my p256 SSD and when i try to format or make a partition with the disk managment tool, the format option is grayed out.

First of all,

Did you format your usb drive with the FAT file system?

Neither FAT 32 nor NTFS will work for a USB Boot disk.

Secondly, I took some paragraphs from the PDF file that I hope will help you

"DOSRD application will execute only in IDE and AHCI modes of ATA / SATA /

AHCI controllers. Please check the BIOS setting and set drive mode

configuration to Native IDE / AHCI modes."

Please check if you're having raid mode. If yes change it to IDE or AHCI.

" Why is my drive not being detected once the system boots?

A 3: This can be due to the fact that some DOS versions do not recognize FAT32 file systems.

Please recheck to ensure that the drive has a FAT16 file system with necessary files and then

retry. Windows provides tools to make a FAT16 file system or partition."

This is reffered to the usb drive. No need to format your SSD with a FAT file system.

Personally I'm having one SSD and three HDD SATA II drives, all of them with the NFTS file system.

I didn't create any FAT partition except the one with the usb boot drive and the update process was successful.

I tried loading the default bios settings and every possible configuration with the BIOS on my Asus p5n-t deluxe mobo but to no avail.

Finally, got it to work by hooking it up to an inexpensive gateway desktop

and following the pdf steps. This time the drive was recognized w/o a hitch.

Thanks everyone.

AFter restoring windows image onto the drive i've noticed the windows index score is now down to 7.3 from 7.4. I wonder why?

With new firmware, you need to do a fresh install of your OS otherwise you would be placing an image of the old firmware as well.:naughty:

With new firmware, you need to do a fresh install of your OS otherwise you would be placing an image of the old firmware as well.:naughty:

Don't listen to this person. I hope they were just joking around. I suspect you restored your backup which is what we all do in the real world. And as for the Windows 7 performance mark, maybe the drive was doing something else at the time to drop it .1. Use a reputable benchmark test but what you're showing looks good. After I flashed my benchmarks were a little slower right off the bat but the following day they returned to normal. Normal to me is New like condition. Bet you ran the Windows 7 test right after you originally installed the SSD. I think it took the day for me to see the new firmware erase unused blocks (I want' on my computer much that day). But either way, do not reinstall Windows 7, you would be wasting your time.

-Joe

Restoring an image of windows it won't give you a trouble.

In contrary it will make your life easier. Windows has all the necessary drivers in order to recognize correctly your new firmware. You can check it with the device manager, right click on the SSD go to the details tab and from the drop down menu look for Hardware IDs. There is your new firmware. I've been restoring images for many years using norton ghost. Never gave me a trouble.

Archived