Corsair Community

460x + H110i + Asus Z270H

Iku64

Howdy,

I'm planning to buy Asus Z270H + Corsair H110i bundle and attach them to 460x case. I have read that H110i can't be fitted to top and if it's so..what are my best opinions.

If I install H110i to front can I use those 3 rgb 120mm with it or do I need to buy 140mm rgb's (if I want color effect). And can those 140mm rgb controlled by 460x case rgb controller?

Btw..is that rgb controller included with 460x case or do it need to be bought separately?

-Iku

Most of the issues are relating to this choice are discussed here. If you decide to use a 280mm radiator, it will need to go up front and you will need HD140's if you want the light show. That may make going with an all HD fan set-up more appealing and thus the base 460X with one fan and a lower price would be the better choice.

Also, with a 280mm on the front, that will limit your intake to those two 140mm fans alone versus a 240mm on the top 2/3 thirds with a free bottom fan to push air into the PSU shroud. Whether or not that has any value is unknown and you would need some 460X owners to comment. Most people end up with a 240 on the front. I don't know how many 280mm + 460X people we have out there to add to the discussion.

Thx for your reply..I've been searching things last hours. I had read 460x specs at Corsair page before too but today I just read them real..and found and understood this little information..:)

Radiator Compatibility:

360mm: Front only (395mm max radiator length)

280mm: Front only

240mm: Front or Top

120mm: Front, Top, or Rear

So as you said...need to change to 240 wide radiator or accept that front is not with rgb or buy 2x 140mm rgb fans to front. But I think that those 3x 120mm rgb can be mounted rear and top...not sure would that be good opinion or do I need 140mm rear and top to get better air exhaust...

The SP120 RGB could be used for the top and rear exhaust. However, there is no SP140 RGB and to keep the color going you would need the HD140. There are single color LED fans that are radiator appropriate, like the ML140 LED series (blue, red, or white). They have a similar lighting hue to the SP120 RGB and would likely make a decent match, with the single color limitation and will not be a part of the lighting system. However, I still have some doubts about mixing and matching the SP and HD series. While they will be controllable, each one has a physically different lighting design. The SP RGB are more traditional. The HD series have 12 LEDs around the outside, instead of the usual 4 corners. These two fans look nothing alike and all those nice color blends and patterns you see in the promo shots are HD only and with Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro + Link software to control the effects. I am not sure how smooth a transition you would get from front to back when trying to use complex lighting schemes.

Most people are in love with the 3 LED fan look on the front rail. I don't know how it will look with 2x140mm. The only photo I can find of one is from the side and this person is still using 3x120 with a 280mm radiator. I don't really recommend that without additional 140mm fan support from behind and that is a bit tedious for the objective. On a Kaby, you are always going to be voltage limited at the CPU, rather than by coolant temperature or capacity. A 240mm is more than enough, but does typically require higher fan speeds than a 280mm. I suppose that is the determining factor in conjunction with your overall goal and design for the system (quiet as possible, stylish, etc.).

I am still interested how 460x (or 570x) owners feel about the lower 120mm fan on the front and if it provides any tangible benefits to their case heat management. The PSU will take its own air from the bottom and push it through and out the back. However, it is still a 40-50C hunk of metal, so some air flow may have general cooling benefits.

You are correct of those 140mm...but in our store those name is still RGB...so that mixed me up..:).

That would be interesting idea to have RGB 120 fan at lower fan place...if there is enough room for that. So if I buy that 1x rgb fan version of 460x then and buy 3x 140mm for back and top exhaust...would that help temp on inside of case...

As I said we have in our store bundle of H110i and Asus Z270h at prize 269,90€. Separate Asus Z270h + H100i V2 would cost 321,8€ so prolly you understand why thinking of cheaper combination..:).

Edit:

Saw video where was compared temperatures if radiator is front or top and seems that it's really no matter where it is...it was suprise that radiator in front will keep cpu temp lower than in up...but after more thinking it was clear...at top it will blow warmed case air thru radiator and is not cooling so well than at front where it get colder air from front...and gpu temp differences were only few degrees Celsius...

To be clear, you don't have to buy any SP120 RGB or HD fans. Anything can work. The 460X "RGB" version of the case comes with 3 x SP120 RGB fans on the front. It looks nice and has value, so most people go for it straight away. However, these are not the same fans as the HD series with the color blends and some people decide that is what they really want later on. Given the difference in price between the cases is quite small, I don't see the extra fans as wasted if you upgrade to HD later and you would still need the software and the additional control device to get the full spectrum of effects. That does represent a noticeable cost and can be pushed back until a future date.

The H110i will come with two SP140L (grey) radiator fans. The 3 SP120 RGB fans from a 460X RGB model could be moved to top and rear. That's all the fans included and you are done. While perhaps not the most aesthetic set-up, it is plenty functional and there is no reason why it cannot be used this way. If you later decide to upgrade or change fans, there will be options.

Saw video where was compared temperatures if radiator is front or top and seems that it's really no matter where it is...it was suprise that radiator in front will keep cpu temp lower than in up...but after more thinking it was clear...at top it will blow warmed case air thru radiator and is not cooling so well than at front where it get colder air from front...and gpu temp differences were only few degrees Celsius...

Yes, I am sure it is the same one most people mention when this comes up. That is a byproduct of the Google world. Once a particular site gets the some hits, it is promoted to the top and is then likely to stay there as people click off the first three results every time, regardless of merit. Some days I feel like breaking it down, pointing out the inconsistencies and limitations, but not today and it doesn't matter for you anyway. You are going to front mount with a 240 or 280mm and I would do the same with this case. Just keep in mind there is no free lunch. The heat coming from the front radiator has to go somewhere. Instead of out of the case, it goes in. There will always be a change somewhere in response to this, whether it is a measurable quantity or clearly obvious is something else. Most people have considerable headroom on their CPU temperatures and there are more essential components besides the CPU and a self-contained GPU card in your case.

Thx of clearing out..I was thinking same way that those 3x 120mm RGB can be installed rear and top and can give a enuff good color efect for me..I'm just an old chap so I don't care so much of these. I like the look of this case..color thing is just nice to have thing for me..:). Main thing for me is that I will get enuff cooling to make some kind of overclockin to get my Oculus, DCS, BoS and iRaicing to work well..:).

Me and my friend were looking other case but as you said this 3x RGB looked so nice so we ended up for this case..before readed more specs etc..:). And I can understand that many others will do same..:).

I agree of google...you can get information from there but you need to analyze yourself rest..:). But before looking those videos I was more worry about temp on case..now I can live with it..:).

Thx for your time on this..it helped alot..:).

I don't think case temperature will be an issue with either 240 or 280 in the front of the case. I have not seen anyone complain of a "hot 460X". Your overclocking limit with be voltage and CPU based on Kaby or Skylake. Both coolers have a higher capacity than 200W, more than you could ever generate with those model at any clock speed.

If you decide to get the H110i, save any fan upgrade money for the two 140mm fans on the front to replace the included model in the cooler box. While they will win you a cooling contest, it may bring more things to the daily experience than you like. Lots of potential choices, with an obvious ML140 Pro model (LED or not) to take their place with no loss in performance.

If you decide to get a 240mm cooler, mount in on the top two-thirds of the front panel, leave the SP120 RGB on the front rail, using those fans and not the included radiator SP120L (grey). These fans are DC and will not run from the pump directly. Power and control them from your motherboard. You would then need fans for top and rear exhaust. Select something quiet and appropriate.

So those coolers own fans are noisy? If I decide to go 240 cooler will SP120 RGB's to be good choice for top and back..are they enuff silent or would there be hell of noice with 6x 120mm RGB's?

You can use longer screws to mount the 280 behind and around the front 120x3. From a functionality perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense. The entire point of a 280mm cooler is to get 140mm fans that you don't need to run as fast (less buzzy sound). By using 120's you are not really maximizing the 280 radiator surface area either. Your CPU will not overheat, but I don't see any advantage either. I'm not sure there is any testing for this specific aspect, but I would expect it to be worse than a 280 with 140x2.

If you want to keep the 3x120 LED look for the front, leave the SP120 RGB on the front rail and mount the included SP140L fans behind the radiator on the interior. The SP120's would run from the motherboard. The SP140L from the pump. The back fans are more than enough, but it allows you to keep the front LED aesthetic in combination with the H110i. I do know people who have done this effectively. You would still need fans for top/rear exhaust.

*Incidentally, the first build (red) is using a 280mm with 3x120. The second white build is not. I can see the discussion, but that is a 240mm radiator on the front. Regardless, it is possible to mount the 280 around the 3x120. It just is not terribly efficient.

Ok...I was skeptical for both setups in first place...so I think it's better get new ML140's and put them front. I think there is not enough room between my 980ti and radiator with it's own 140's behind the radiator on the interior.

So I will look setup as 2x ML140 to front and those rgb 120's to back and up.

I was looking also 570x but somehow I don't like it's look as much as this smaller brother..:). It has more room for wiring and so but glass panels are not sitting as well as in 460x...

I also found very interesting case (Game Max Moonstone RGB Full Tower Black Case) but not sure about quality so I leave it..:)

I have a z170 gigabyte mx5 mobo and I run the H100I v2 on top top without much of an issue. I had to grind down the side of one of the HD120s but it was minimal and now I have plenty of room. I had the rad mounted to the front of the case and noticed my GPU temps went up underload 5c. Now my CPU is around 55-58C under load and my GPU never gets above 53c in game.

Here's my current setup:

http://i.imgur.com/JizEToOl.jpg

Archived