Corsair Community

Old H100i, Question

ChuckinSC

I’m updating my computer with a new ROG motherboard, i7-8700k, new RAM, etc. My H100i is 9 years old and though I’ve had no problems with it I’ve got to believe it’s lost some of its efficiency. While I’m doing the update, now would be a good time to add the newer generation H199i PRO. I don’t mind spending the money for a new AIO, but would like a few opinions on whether this is wise or just a waste of money? I’m a pilot and a strong believer in prevention maintenance. For example, I don’t wait until the car battery dies before replacing it - when it approaches a reasonable end of life cycle it’s replaced. Thoughts appreciated on whether my thinking is correct in this situation. Thanks!

I’m a pilot and a strong believer in prevention maintenance.

Since the warranty is 5 years and thus effective target life in that general range, I would say you have gotten quite a lot out of it. These AIO coolers were not meant to last forever and are not really serviceable, so there is some basis to move toward a replacement. You certainly wouldn't want a decaying hose to ruin all your new gear. Even on the milder side, I would think there would be some measure of evaporation at this point and you may get more efficiency out of the new cooler.

The H100i PRO would be a good choice. Not sure if you ever got a good answer on whether a H150i will fit up top in the 800D without giving up drive space.

Archived