Corsair Community

upgrading my ram need help

madmecca1975

Hello iam wanting to upgrade my ram because the mixed set I was sold by a shop is not playing nicely together. iam after some dominator ram for my system don't know weather to get something like the gt or the platinum. I want about 8 gb for the above system would I be better buying 4 sticks of ram or just 2 sticks because from what I understand so far using 2sticks would put less strain on memory controller is this correct. and what kind of speed should I be looking at because will be looking in to overclocking it but not sure yet. Thanks

Well, there really is no performance difference between the two Dominator kits. Other than that the Platinums and GT may provide higher head room for memory overclocking. It you wanted to push them past the rated speeds that is. It will boil down to your personal preference and depth of your pockets! :P

om what I understand so far using 2sticks would put less strain on memory controller is this correct. and what kind of speed should I be looking at because will be looking in to overclocking it but not sure yet.

Correct! And If you are planning on getting into overclocking then I would suggest a 2x8 gig kit at either 1866mhz or 2133mhz@1.5v . Your CPU only supports a max of 1600mhz memory , any speeds above that would be overclocking in itself.

And if you are planning on overclocking the CPU , then you may need to sacrifice memory speed anyway depending on how high you overclock your CPU. So there is no need to get crazy fast memory that you may have trouble running anyway.

The answer is rather simple, the more memory modules you have the faster they can be accessed - this would be independent of the actual timings of the memory.

As Peanutz94 stated it depends on how deep your wallet is. Your motherboard only supports four RAM modules, and four of the same kind of modules would give you more intrinsic performance than two.

That having been said you would then have to replace all four to upgrade at any point in the future.

If you only got two then you would be left with a mismatched set if you decided to upgrade in the future.

So your real choice is either getting 4*4GB or 4*8GB because just getting 2*8GB will impair any ambitions you may have with regard to performance gains from overclocking right from the get go.

After DRAM has been accessed there is a period of time where it cannot be accessed again (the "timings"). However by alternating the access between the modules one can "get around" this restriction to a certain extent. This is called "interleaving".

With RAM there are a number of factors involved with regard to achieving a performance boost and one has to do quite a lot of work if one wishes to hit the "sweet spot" whereby the RAM operates at both peak performance and stability.

The worst thing is that my experience with my system would be of no good to you whatsoever, because everybody's system will have that sweet spot at different settings - I can only guide you in general terms.

One thing can be said for sure, and that is you should be looking to get four modules and not two.

getting a bit mixed up now as the one I have put up above is out of stock so used corsair memory finder on web page. and its not bringing up any that the shop has in stock. all the ones on corsair mem finder are c9 there is one at c10 but don't want to pay £440. there is one that is cmd32gx3m4a1866c10 would this be compatible if so why does corsair mem finder not bring it up thanks

hanks for the advice I have found this one cmd16gx3m4a1866c9 16gb what else would I need so I can connect it to corsair link software.

You would need both an air flow fan and the AirFlowPro to be able to use corsair LINK software with those modules.

http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by-product-family/corsair-memory-accessories/corsair-airflow-2-gtl-cooling-fan-assembly.html

http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by-product-family/corsair-memory-accessories/airflow-pro.html

there is one that is cmd32gx3m4a1866c10 would this be compatible if so why does corsair mem finder not bring it up thanks

Yes, thjose would still be compatible. It's the same memory just slightly slower than the C9 kit. But nothing you would notice in real world applications. You would need to run benchmarks on each kit to actually be able to "see" the difference.

The reason they are not listed is because there are just too many combinations of RAM to MB that can be tested. So some kit's even though they are not specifically listed doesn't mean they are not compatible.

madmecca,

the best deals I have found for four modules are:

Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 1866MHz C9 Memory Kit CMD16GX3M2A1866C9. And two of those kits would cost you £324.20 here:

http://www.cclonline.com/product/83035/CMD16GX3M2A1866C9/Desktop-Memory/Corsair-Dominator-Platinum-Series-16GB-2-x-8GB-DDR3-DRAM-1866MHz-C9-Memory-Kit/RAM0594/

Or

Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 DRAM 2133MHz C9 Memory Kit CMD8GX3M2A2133C9. Two of those would cost you £228

http://www.cclonline.com/product/83033/CMD8GX3M2A2133C9/Desktop-Memory/Corsair-Dominator-Platinum-Series-8GB-2-x-4GB-DDR3-DRAM-2133MHz-C9-Memory-Kit/RAM0592/

These are available and the company selling them in the UK is a reputable one.

Corsair Dominator Platinum Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 DRAM 2133MHz C9 Memory Kit CMD8GX3M2A2133C9. Two of those would cost you £228

I really would NOT consider buying two kits. Corsair does not suggest or support mixing of kits even if they are the same part number. So if the OP decides to do this and the two kits do not play nice with each other there s not much that can be done about it.

Corsair will only support one kit per MB.

peanutz,

In that case, with my 1366 Mobo, I would be pretty much stuffed then because I could either buy three two module kits, two four module kits, a four and a two module kit, or one eight module kit but I could NOT buy one six module kit.

Things get critical if you have bought RAM and then are looking to add some half a year or a year down the road. When buying them together then the same two kits are pretty much going to be out of the same batch. There comes a point where common sense gets subverted by marketdroid hype and salescritter garbage.

There comes a time where that which makes sense crosses the line into becoming just blind fanaticism.

If I can get two sets of two for over £100 ($150) less than buying a "matched" set of four then I will take the deal. Unless of course you are trying to tell me that the quality control of Corsair is so pathetic that similarly specified RAM will have radically divergent properties.

I would also like to see the official Corsair statement pertaining to

because that really would be a damning indictment of their own quality control.

Things get critical if you have bought RAM and then are looking to add some half a year or a year down the road. When buying them together then the same two kits are pretty much going to be out of the same batch. There comes a point where common sense gets subverted by marketdroid hype and salescritter garbage.

I'm sorry, but this is totally not true. You can in no way make sure they were from the same batch, and even at that there is no way to tell if ANY two kits will run together if at all. Just spend the time scouring these forums and you'll find literally hundreds of other users who thought the same. You are more than welcome to try what you like, but you do so at your own risk.

I would also like to see the official Corsair statement pertaining to

Quote:

because that really would be a damning indictment of their own quality control.

That won't be a problem ! it's always been that way and your looking at quality control in the wrong light. Their quality control lies in the time they take to test and match memory into kits so they can guarantee that they will operate correctly. This is why there is also a wide variety of kits to meet most users demands. It's not just Corsair that is like this, but the vast majority or other venders as well. They all get their chips from the same pool of manufacturers.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=116379&highlight=mixing+memory

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=115885&highlight=mixing+memory

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=116296&highlight=mixing+memory

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=115016&highlight=mixing+memory

Here's just a few threads with responses from RamGuy about mixing memory. You can use the forum search and input his name and the keywords "mixing memory" and there are countless other threads.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time and how you think about things is your prerogative. I'm just giving you a friendly warning that there is a good possibility that using multiple kits can and in most case causes issues. Everything from not booting correctly to having to run them at a lower than rated speed.

If you happen to encounter these types of issues, then the cost of returns,RMA's and your time can far outweigh the extra cost of just buying the proper kit in the first place. If the sticks are not available at your local shop/vendor,ask them to order them in for you. Most suppliers would be happy to. Corsair has plenty of triple channel kits that would be what you need in just about all of their lines.

We see that a lot madmecca. These shops are misinformed and don't know any different. You would think they would know the products they sell and the manufacturers recommendations.:roll:

You are in the same boat...you can try what you like but there are no guarantees when using multiple kits.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just giving you a heads up if you happen to run into issues. It's always best to get all your memory from one single matched kit.

Peanutz,

Here's just a few threads with responses from RamGuy about mixing memory.

If you had actually read my reply to you then I expressly stated that mixing memory modules was a bad thing. Your so-called "counter examples" were cases which backed up the very point I made when I stated:

My own personal experience with system building goes back nearly 30 years, so I am not some skript-kiddie blinded by snorters. I know what I am talking about when I use the words "mixing memory modules". So in future I would ask you to refrain from telling me what I mean when I make a statement.

With regard to my experience of tech-support - which I bashfully admit is extensive - the rule, "Behind every computer error there are at least two human errors including the error of blaming it on the computer", is almost a universal constant. And it is probably more fruitful to go looking in this direction when someone complains that two separate sets of identically specified RAM modules don't work.

Watching people try to seat RAM modules can be an extremely painful experience. I am not surprised at the amount of complaints with regard to RAM modules not functioning, just that there are not more of them.

The "Polish Sausage" warranty disclaimer should be printed on every motherboard:

PLEASE READ THIS OWNER'S MANUAL

BEFORE UNPACKING THE DEVICE.

You’ve already unpacked it, haven’t you? You’ve unpacked it and plugged it in and turned it on and fiddled with the knobs, and now your four-year old child, the same child who once shoved a Polish sausage into your new VCR and pressed fast forward, this child is also fiddling with the knobs, right? We might as well just break these devices right at the factory before we ship them out, you know that?

When buying them together then the same two kits are pretty much going to be out of the same batch

If I can get two sets of two for over £100 ($150) less than buying a "matched" set of four then I will take the deal.

Nec, you specifically stated that if you bought two sets at the same time, you could be sure they came from the same batch. But it doesn't matter if it came from the same batch or not. As far as Corsair is concerned it is still mixing memory and any user who chooses to do this does so at their own risk. It doesn't matter if they bought two kits at the same time or not. They are totally different sets as far as Corsair is concerned.

The problem is your definition of "mixing memory" and Corsairs is completely different.

Peanutz,

what I stated precisely was, "pretty much going to be out of the same batch", meaning the components that went into making the modules themselves would be of the same specification.

The other thing we have to get clear is that the matching of modules is really only vital within channels (or banks) and NOT BETWEEN channels. Of course the hand-off from one channel to the other requires less of a time interval (in cycles) if the modules are all of identical specification.

Don't take my word for it, go read some introductory Intel documentation, like:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-011965.htm

So really I could not care less about your opinion with regard to Corsair's definition of "mixing memory". Simply because I know I am right I have known about this for over two decades and Intel backs me up - and I think Intel knows a bit more about it, don't you?

what I stated precisely was, "pretty much going to be out of the same batch", meaning the components that went into making the modules themselves would be of the same specification.

But that still in now way guarantees that any two kits would run together or not. That much has been proven hundreds if not thousands of times right here in these forums. In fact that very issue was what brought me to the forums years ago. So i can tell you from first hand experience it happens. Despite my OWN decades of experience. I used to think it didn''t matter either. But Corsair gets their chips from different manufactures and those chips can be swapped out at any given time. Kits with identical part numbers and version numbers can in fact be made from different chips. Making them a totally different module despite the sticker.

This statement backed up again from RamGuy

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=111969&highlight=mixing+memory+kit

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=110628&highlight=mixing+memory+kit

the rest of the results....

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/search.php?searchid=6990768

The other thing we have to get clear is that the matching of modules is really only vital within channels (or banks) and NOT BETWEEN channels. Of course the hand-off from one channel to the other requires less of a time interval (in cycles) if the modules are all of identical specification.

I understand completely what the intel documentation says.

Rules to enable dual-channel mode

To achieve dual-channel mode, the following conditions must be met:

Same memory size (1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, etc.)

Matched DIMM configuration in each channel

Matched in symmetrical memory slots

It does say in each channel however again, they also go on to state that if those conditions are not met then the board will revert to either single channel or a reduced speed. Which is nothing more than what Corsair is saying except that Corsair goes a step further and will only support one kit per MB...not just one kit per channel.

This wasn't about being right . Just letting you know what Corsair officially supports. Bottom line is despite what Intel says Corsair will support one kit per MB only. After that if you choose to do so you do at you at your own risk.

Peanutz,

the only problem with this is that for the sake of trouble-shooting someone is going to send all the RAM back, get replacements and then they are still in the same mess after going through the whole RMA process.

It is just not a serious endeavour with regard to troubleshooting RAM problems to start off with, "Well if they aren't all the same then tough cheese" and telling the person to get lost.

So from a trouble shooting perspective, Corsair is welcome to their own policies or opinions, they are not however welcome to their own facts.

Hello iam wanting to upgrade my ram because the mixed set I was sold by a shop is not playing nicely together. iam after some dominator ram for my system don't know weather to get something like the gt or the platinum. I want about 8 gb for the above system would I be better buying 4 sticks of ram or just 2 sticks because from what I understand so far using 2sticks would put less strain on memory controller is this correct. and what kind of speed should I be looking at because will be looking in to overclocking it but not sure yet. Thanks

you can go to corsairs store where they have a guide you can go by to tailor the memory thats best suited to your computer.

the only problem with this is that for the sake of trouble-shooting someone is going to send all the RAM back, get replacements and then they are still in the same mess after going through the whole RMA process.

Exactly! And another reason they only support one set per MB. And also another reason for someone not to buy multiple kits.

I have seen Corsair exchange multiple kits for a single matched kit if these users still had problems after an RMA or multiple RMA's trying to get two unmatched its to work together. Don't get me wrong it's not to be expected or the norm, but will depend on each individual case.

It is just not a serious endeavour with regard to troubleshooting RAM problems to start off with, "Well if they aren't all the same then tough cheese" and telling the person to get lost.

No one is ever told to get lost. Informed first ,sure, but then all other possibilities would be exhausted through standard troubleshooting steps. It's a strong possibility that is the whole of the issue so why not put it out there on the table.? They have a right to know that sometimes it just doesn't work...no matter the BIOS But No one is blown off or told they are out of luck because they have mismatched kits. Thats not the way it works.

well been and got my CMD16GX3M4B2133C9 today for £30 more so cant complain just fitted them and everything working so far. reset bios to default and cleared cmos just to be safe. put my overclock genie back on which enables xmp run some benches and test seams stable just run 3dmark firestrike which with old mem scored 8586 with new mem 10184 so very pleased. now just need to learn how to over clock cpu myself lol

Archived