Corsair Community

DDR3 2400MHz with FX-8350?

prankstare

Hello,

Would like to know how will DDR3 2400MHz (stock 10-12-12-31 @1.65v) work with for example an FX-8350, since its memory controller is limited up to 1866MHz, and what will the timings/voltage be like if set to work at that frequency? I guess what I'm trying to say is if there's any advantages to getting DDR3-2400MHz memory or just simply go with DDR3-1866, since I'm planning to overclock or at least buy something that is more future-proof for upcoming AMD processors.

Thanks!

PS: has anybody tested CMY16GX3M2A2400C10R with FX-8350 for compatibility issues?

I guess what I'm trying to say is if there's any advantages to getting DDR3-2400MHz memory or just simply go with DDR3-1866, since I'm planning to overclock or at least buy something that is more future-proof for upcoming AMD processors.

In your case there really would be no advantage to these modules. The FX series CPU's just cant run memory that fast. Or very few of them. Even bought as a "future proof" item, by the time AMD comes out with anything that would have native support for memory this fast these would most likely not be compatible by then.

Personally i would stick with no more than 2133mhz memory if you think you want to try to push your memory past the 1866mhz mark, but other than that there would be no real performance gain to be had over the set you currently have

If your planning on overclocking then i would stick with a lower memory speed. The less load on the memory controller can often yield higher . more stable overclocks.

Well, I was wondering since CMY16GX3M2A2400C10R has tight timings running at 2400MHz (10-12-12-31 @1.65v), maybe underclocking to 1866MHz would make it possible to use with timings lower than 9-10-9-28 @1.5v, which is pretty much my target at that RAM frequency. What do you think? Also, do you recommend underclocking/undervolting memory to improve latency in this case? I was looking to get these modules to work at CAS8 if possible.

Personally i would stick with no more than 2133mhz memory if you think you want to try to push your memory past the 1866mhz mark, but other than that there would be no real performance gain to be had over the set you currently have.

Can you suggest any DDR3-2133 kits that has been proved compatible/stable with FX-8350?

Have you tried the memory finder for your MB yet? That would be the first place to look and also your QVL from ASUS should have some on there.

http://www.corsair.com/us/learn_n_explore/

Also, do you recommend underclocking/undervolting memory to improve latency in this case? I was looking to get these modules to work at CAS8 if possible.

Not really, but you can try what you like. The difference between cl9 and cl8 isn't worth the trouble. But that is just my 2 cents. Your not going to achieve any huge or noticeable performance gains.

• 4 years later...

Archived