Corsair Community

CoPro thermistor placement in 280X case

adrian5683

Hi all, I finished a build in the 280X m-ATX case with a mini-ITX board, H100i Platinum, GTX 1070, and six 120 fans, two front and bottom intakes and two top radiator exhausts. I'm also toying with reversing the bottom and top fans, or making them both exhaust...

I've read some general ideas for thermistor placement but I'm not sure what the best usage of some (or all) of the thermistors that came with the CoPro would be in this small case, all the components being in such close proximity... Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Most of your hardware components have their own temp readings and measuring the surface temp of physical device may not tell you what you really want to know. The most useful thing about the thermistors is they are a source of fan control. You have one control source already with the H100i Plat. that will run from coolant temperature. So what do you want to do with the others? For people with mostly CPU only loads, the CPU cooler temps works as a control for the other case fans to keep things in balance. For people with games to play or other GPU heavy work, the GPU will be primary heat creator. In that situation, you likely want to the other case fans to speed up and down with GPU heat as a means to balance changes in case temp.

You can set fan curves to your GPU diode temp directly from the control source drop down menu (Performance tab, Commander Pro). This will work fine, except not without iCUE running. That may or may not be a hindrance. Even if that's what you end up doing, you might want to set the thermistors up as well for another option or just curiosity. My recommendation for this is one wire to the rear exhaust and another to the bottom of the front intake panel. That later is usually the coldest place in the case. This will give you a decent idea of the air temp coming in, and then the air temp leaving. It should also allow you to set more subtle and meaningful fan controls than from GPU temp alone. Just because the GPU is 65C, doesn't necessarily mean you need to blast your fans. Some GPUs are good at pushing their own heat out. Others spray it everywhere. You won't know until you compare the in/out air temps.

Archived