Corsair Community

CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 question

Pudsley

Ok, thought I'd tag my issue/query onto this since it's pretty close.

Same memory (except only one kit of 2x4GB modules).

CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9

I built a new system over the weekend, based on the Asus Sabertooth p67, an Intel i7 2600k and the above Vengeance memory kit.

It's given BSOD's at least once a day, and failed to run Prime95 in under a minute due to "hardware failure", however I had manually set the memory to 1866 frequency.

The board sets the memory to 1333MHz by default (just like the OP mentioned on his Asus board), I figured I'd test it at 1333MHz, so far it's run 3 hours of prime95 flawlessly.

So my question is, am I making some noob mistake by setting it to 1866? if so what frequncy would you recommend, 1333MHz seems a little low.

I haven't overclocked anything yet as I am a firm believer in testing new builds at stock for a while, the system is fully watercooled (moffsets aside for now) and temps are great, but I need long term stability and if and when I decide to try my hand at OC'ing I'll need all the hardware to be in top condition.

Ran my 680i board with e6700 processor for over 4 years overclocked heavily, I have no plans to OC just yet but would like the option and bought this memory with that in mind (Corsair confgurator recommended it as the Overclockers choice, also my previous 4GB of Corsair Dominator DDR2 served me well).

Thanks in advance.

Do you have an XMP profile for 1600mhz? If so i would suggest that. You are more than likely getting your blue screens from trying to run at 1866mhz. Default spd is 1333mhz for that processor and since the memory controller resides on the CPU now, they are not as strong as the once were. Once you get above 1600mhz they seem to struggle especially with stock voltages.

Well, did some reading on XMP, my board supports XMO but tbh I had trouble finding anything relating to it in the EFI bios.

I found a timings section but frankly they just looked like regular memory timing settings, there were three sets so maybe they were XMP's, but there was no mention of it.

Will look into it further, the new EFI bios takes a little getting used to, been usuing Phoenix/Award and even the old AMI bios, seems real strange to be going back to terms like "Turbo", feels like I'm back messing with 3/486's.

Okay, i did some reading through your MB manual, and it's pretty much the same as what i have. It's under the tab marked AI overclock tuner. Click and that should give you several options to choose from...Auto, manual, and XMP. Just choose XMP save and exit. It should be that simple. :)

Archived