Corsair Community

Will 400W be enough?

ChaobSiroc

I have an extra 400watt Corsair PSU and this system: 1.8Ghz. Dual Core CPU, 8600GTS, 1 HDD, 1CD/DVD drive, 2 GB RAM. Currently the above system is hooked up to a 550 watt Apevia PSU, but I want to use that 550 on another system.

The 8600GTS that I have recommends no less than a 500watt PSU, but it seems to me that a 400watt Corsair should be able to handle it. I wanted to check and see for sure though since I'd hate to cause damage to data or something due to under-powering the system.

The Corsair PSU calculator frequently recommends PSU's with lower wattages than the recommended minimums on GPU's. Could someone shed some light as to why this is as well?

400w is more than enough.

The minimums for graphics cards are stated as to compensate for the crappy low end PSU's out there that can't deliver their rated power. I once ran a GTX260 rig on a 450w Corsair for a short time and it was fine with everything I threw at it.

400w is more than enough.

The minimums for graphics cards are stated as to compensate for the crappy low end PSU's out there that can't deliver their rated power. I once ran a GTX260 rig on a 450w Corsair for a short time and it was fine with everything I threw at it.

Damn, that's great! Thanks bro :biggrin:

Archived