Corsair Community

570x -- Can I turn the Corsair logo into an HDD activity light?

tgm1024

Regarding those weird white-only logos (on the PSU shroud and on the front bottom) of the case.

They seem to be powered by the sata ports (for some reason). This leads me to wonder:

1. Is there software to configure the lights to be connected to the HDD activity?

2. Is there a converter of some kind that can adapt the sata power edge connector to the standard 2 conductor that motherboards supply as pin-outs?

Either would allow the front (or God help us, the side) logos to be HDD activity lights. Otherwise, I'm likely going to simply disable them.

THANKS!!!!

Hello there!

Yes you certainly can. All you need to do is plug in the "PWR_LED" front panel cable into the "HDD_LED" pins on the motherboard header.

However, the PSU shroud light is powered only through SATA. It's not possible, without serious modification, to set it up as an HDD light. There's not really any adapter that would do that, plus it's a significantly larger light array than a simple LED. It's actually a full PCB in it! The front panel logo is the easiest for what you want.

Hope this answered your questions and please post your finished build in our Picture Gallery section! I wanna see this beast of a build. :)

Hello there!

Yes you certainly can. All you need to do is plug in the "PWR_LED" front panel cable into the "HDD_LED" pins on the motherboard header.

However, the PSU shroud light is powered only through SATA. It's not possible, without serious modification, to set it up as an HDD light. There's not really any adapter that would do that, plus it's a significantly larger light array than a simple LED. It's actually a full PCB in it! The front panel logo is the easiest for what you want.

Hope this answered your questions and please post your finished build in our Picture Gallery section! I wanna see this beast of a build. :)

Could you please clarify? The PWR_LED is what lights up the power switch on the top, right---I would have to be looking on top? I don't think you meant to imply that the front was powerable by the mobo 2 pin. Or is there something I'm missing?

The front logo, just like the shrowd is powered by sata (AFAICT---It's what I plugged in).

{chuckle}, Yeah, I did go through the thought process of creating my own mini-breadboard with a solid state relay so I could drive the level of current needed for the larger arrays used in both lights, but that really seems like a job for someone with more time than I have. :)

BTW: It's hardly a beast of a build currently. It's fairly plain, however, for a plain build it's dressed up considerably by the 570x I put it in. These things help all by themselves with very little effort:

1. AIO H100i v2 on top.

2. 3 lit up fans in front (not the HD series yet. I'll have to see if my 10 and 12 year old are gung-ho enough for the HD).

3. (glass/etc./bad-*** nature of the 570x). However compared to the stuff I see you guys do online (holy cripes!), mine is closer to a TRS-80 than "a beast". LOL....

Ah, so there's a bit of a miscommunication haha.

So when I say the front, I meant where the three fans are shown. The PSU shroud is the one driven by SATA power and constantly lit.

Now, for the front logo, which is considerably smaller and only powered a single LED, both that and the power button go into a single pair of connectors. So yeah, that one "PWR_LED" connector cable goes to two LEDs.

Ah, so there's a bit of a miscommunication haha.

So when I say the front, I meant where the three fans are shown. The PSU shroud is the one driven by SATA power and constantly lit.

......Perhaps I should have paid more attention to the wires. There were two SATA power connectors dangling in the 570x out of the box (I've connected them both). I simply assumed that one of them was for the front logo. Is it for the lighting control?

Now, for the front logo, which is considerably smaller and only powered a single LED, both that and the power button go into a single pair of connectors. So yeah, that one "PWR_LED" connector cable goes to two LEDs.

Now THIS part is clear, (thanks!). Now I'm just confused about the two SATA power connectors.

Archived