Corsair Community

H50 - high temps

cmscout

I just installed the H50 onto my system affter doing a RAM, Case, CPU upgrade.

Something isn't right. Within a few minutes of booting up, the temps quickly escalate to 90 degrees or higher. This is even from a totally cold boot.

I'm using the CM Storm Scout case, which has a front mount hard drive 120mm fan, a top mount (directly above CPU) 140mm fan, and a rear 120mm fan.

But I did install the H50 in the push -> pull configuration, with a fan on each side of the radiator to pull in more air.

So the main thing I can think of (and correct me if I'm wrong), is that the H50 is either not seated properly, or I put too much Arctic Silver on. I know the H50 comes with thermal paste already applied, but applied a good layer of Arctic Silver 5.

So if I put too much, could this be the reason I'm hitting these high temperatures?

If I remove the H50...should I wipe off all the paste (even the stock paste) and apply a thinner coat of AS5?

The other weird thing is that my system is showing only 1.6 Ghz CPU, when I'm running a 3.4 Ghz quad core. That's another post I guess...

Thanks for any help!

I just installed the H50 onto my system affter doing a RAM, Case, CPU upgrade.

Something isn't right. Within a few minutes of booting up, the temps quickly escalate to 90 degrees or higher. This is even from a totally cold boot.

I'm using the CM Storm Scout case, which has a front mount hard drive 120mm fan, a top mount (directly above CPU) 140mm fan, and a rear 120mm fan.

But I did install the H50 in the push -> pull configuration, with a fan on each side of the radiator to pull in more air.

So the main thing I can think of (and correct me if I'm wrong), is that the H50 is either not seated properly, or I put too much Arctic Silver on. I know the H50 comes with thermal paste already applied, but applied a good layer of Arctic Silver 5.

So if I put too much, could this be the reason I'm hitting these high temperatures?

If I remove the H50...should I wipe off all the paste (even the stock paste) and apply a thinner coat of AS5?

The other weird thing is that my system is showing only 1.6 Ghz CPU, when I'm running a 3.4 Ghz quad core. That's another post I guess...

Thanks for any help!

You cant use both compounds.:bigeyes:

As for the cpu speed,the cpu is throttling down so you dont burn it out.The 965 has a 62c max temp.

Archived