Corsair Community

DDR3 CM3X2048-1333C9DHX Troubles

Poisen

Hello guys,

Im having some problems with my Corsair DDR3 RAM (CM3X2048-1333C9DHX).

I have had this RAM replaced twice and the problem still exists.

Basically, the system would constantly hang/freeze with no error at all, whatsoever. No blue screen, nothing, it just stops responding. It could happen while im ingame, while on the desktop surfing the internet, or simply when im beind idle on the desktop.

At first I thought it was a CPU error, my CPU was being undervolted at 1.17 (whereas default value is 1.225), but even increasing that from the BIOS did not help.

Then I noticed that my RAM is only being volted at 1.5v, whereas it should be 1.7v. However, when I did nudge it up to 1.7v, the system woult not boot at all. It would claim that I have a hardware configuration change which prevented my system from booting (in a blue screen) with the error DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL showing in the middle of it. This is a major annoyance as I cannot bump my RAM voltages up to their rated values. ANY ideas at all on this? I got it back down to 1.5v, but now theres a wierd whiny sound coming from the PC and it freezes/hangs MUCH MUCH more often.

I have used Prime95 for a long time (30 min+ at times) on all torture test settings and it doesnt seem to cause any crashing, temps remaining in the low to mid 50's. However, it could at other times crash straight after the login screen on Vista.

Like I said, I tried changing the RAM modules twice already and the system seems to persist. I have all settings on "Auto" in my XFX 790i Ultra 3-way Mobo, except for the voltage which I tried increasing and is now back to Auto.

I am also considering the fact that the PSU might not be able to handle the load. If you look at my PC specs, ive been reading that a minimum of 1200PSU is needed to run 2x GTX280's in SLI, however this 800 has been running them fine in Benchmarks and games so far. Its just that when I try to bump the Voltage up on the RAM, the whole system fails. I also notice some flickering of the CPU voltage, especially under stress, indicating on CPU-Z. Could that also be due to a insufficient PSU or is that unrelated?

I have one RAM slot fitted onto Slot #1, and the other on Slot #2, according to CPU-Z.

Thanks for the help, any comments are greatly appreciated. I am willing to try ANYTHING at this stage, ive had this system for over 1 month now and have been desperately trying to sort it out to no avail.

PS. Please do note my system specs. I am running the 64-bit version of windows (which is why I wasnt quite sure how to work Memtest, and stuck to Prime95). Also note that im NOT overclocking anything in anyway, and everything is running at stock speeds.

CPUZ-1.jpg.e80da8aada08673e6355f74714cfbe79.jpg

CPUZ-2.jpg.58a1d55925b750e26fcde957d9158a33.jpg

CPUZ-3.jpg.bd8a132d73c9b82c007fe5c591c2cd79.jpg

CPUZ-4.jpg.9e7a47f57aa8ca9fdbb947b8bb03b279.jpg

Sometimes when you have had issues with DRAM you will end up with some corrupted files on your system.

Download CPU-z from

Enter your BIOS and load setup defaults, save setup defaults and set to these values:

Extreme Tweaker

CPU Level Up = Disabled

Memory Level Up = Disabled

AI Overclock Tuner = Manual

CPU Multiplier = 9.5

FSB - Memory Clock Mode = Unlinked

FSB (QDR) = 1333

MEM (DDR) = 1333

LDT Frequency = 5X

PCIE BUS, Slot 1 & 2, Mhz = 100

PCIE BUS, Slot 3, Mhz = 100

SPP <--> Ref Clock, Mhz = 200

Memory Timing Section

tCL (CAS Latency) = 9

tRCD = 9

tRP = 9

tRAS = 24

Command Per Clock = 2T

Advanced Memory Settings

tRRD = Auto

tRC = Auto

tWR = Auto

tWTR = Auto

tFAW = Auto

tREF = Auto

CPU Configuration

CPU Internal Thermal Control = Auto

Lmit CPUID MaxVal = Disabled

Execute Disable Bit = Enabled

Virtualization Technology = Enabled

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech = Disabled

CPU Core 2 = Enabled

CPU Core 3 = Enabled

CPU Core 4 = Enabled

System Voltages

CPU Core = Auto

CPU FSB = Auto

Memory = 1.7v

nForce SPP = Auto

nForce MCP = 1.55

HT nForce SPP <-> MCP = Auto

Run Memtest for two full passes, then (If Stable), enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs. If you still have issues. Remove a couple of the video cards and see if the issues remain. If they stop, then the PSU is very likely at the issue.

The FSP Epsilons have a couple other drawbacks besides the mentioned instability (the Zalman models are actually based on this platform from FSP). First, they do not fit within the allowable maximum of the output voltage ripple. And second, they are rather noisy at work. So, although I was very pleased with first models from the Epsilon series, the development of the series has taken a wrong way since then.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/atx-psu7_9.html

Archived