Corsair Community

Rm750x

ander12391

So I have a RM750X PSU. I was just curious about when is the fan going to kick in? I see it spin up for a bit when I first power on my PC however it stops shortly after the PC POST. I feel like my system should pull enough power while gaming to kick on the fan. And from just placing my hand on the outside of the PSU it seems pretty warm while gaming. So I am just a little concerned about this PSU overheating. And if it helps Ill post my system specs below. Any insight is greatly appreciated

Asus X99 Sabertooth

Intel 5930k (No OC)

16 GBS of Corsair DDR4 RAM @2666mhz

Intel 750 400GB AIC SSD

EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC

Noctua U12s

Fractal Design R5

**UPDATE**

Talked to Corsair Tech Support and they seem to think I should RMA just to be safe. However I did some digging and according to Johnny Guru's review the unit they reviewed didn't turn on the fan till their test #4 on their hot-load test (556.1W/620.6W). And according to PC Perspective's review of the GTX 980ti, they measured total system power draw at 365 Watts with a 980ti/Sandy Bridge-E system. So at this point part of me thinks that maybe everything is fine and there is no need to RMA. However just be safe I will more than likely RMA. But just wondering if anyone has any experience with this PSU? and maybe can share some of their insight on the matter.

• Corsair Employee
Your PSU is totally fine, processing an RMA would be a waste of time and effort. The way the fan operates on the RMx PSU is based on system load and temp. I just think that your system isn't pulling enough load for the fan kick on.

Thanks for the reply. Its crazy to think my system isn't pulling enough watts to kick on the fan. I always knew that GPU MFGs overstate their minimum power supply requirements, but I would have thought an X99/980ti system would pull enough Watts to turn the RM750X's fan on. This also speaks volumes for the efficiency of the RM750X. Those 100% Japanese 105°C capacitors are no joke I take it. Thanks again Greybeard for the reply.

Archived