Corsair Community

HDD Initialization Error in T61

beeej

Hello,

I have a new Force 3 (240GB) and I want to use it to replace a HDD in a Lenovo T61. I wanted to do a clean Win7 install, but I could not because the computer doesn't want to recognize the SSD.

I put it in my relatively new desktop and did the install there. The SSD booted fine there. I then tried putting the SSD in the laptop, but I keep getting this message:

ERROR

2100: HDD0 (Hard Disk Drive) initialization error (1)

Press <ESC> to continue

Then it tries to boot from another source.

When I put the SSD in an external enclosure, the Lenovo sees the disc and reads the file format. (The Lenovo has Vista running now).

I tried updating the BIOS to the most recent version and I have AHCI turned on. No luck.

Can anybody suggest how to proceed? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The drive seems tightly seated. I set the SSD up in the same way as the regular HDD: in it's carrier with the side rails attached. It slides into the laptop in a seemingly secure way. I've tries several times. I tired installing without the side rails also, to feel if it seats correctly. No difference in performance. The SSD sticks out a millimeter longer (or so) in the laptop than the HDD, but it doesn't look larger than the HDD, so I wonder if the 'plug' is different. Anyway...

Regarding the firmware, the SSD has ver5.02. I think the most current is 5.05a. I can't update it on the laptop. Can I update it in an external enclosure? The Corsair Field Updater doesn't see the SSD externally in both the laptop and my desktop even though I can see them in Windows. I ask because it is a pain to get to the inside of my desktop...

Wow. How does one know if an SSD is compatible with one's laptop? I can't afford to buy SSD's to find out that they don't work...

This is not meant to rhetorical.

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Toasted.

I thought that SSD's were pretty standard, like HD's would be. What kind of compatibility issue could it be? And, how can I find an SSD that works in this T61 without doing 'buy and try' until I get it right?

Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding Google: been there, done that. I can't find a clear answer (yet). My question here is meant to support my search. I'll keep looking.

Thanks again for your help.

Found my solution. The SSD, installed in the HDD carrier, would not seat correctly in the male end of the SATA port of the laptop even though the HHD and the SSD are supposed to be the same size. I installed it without the carrier, just with the rubber side rails and had to jiggle it a bit, but once it seated I was off to the races. Thanks for your support.

Archived