Corsair Community

Advanced SSD tweaks

to push the performance of a ssd even further, apply the following settings:

- disable all c-states in bios of your motherboard

this gives the 4K write performance a tremendeous boost!

for my Force GT 120Gb:

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/9103/03052012forcegtahcicsta.jpg

cheers,

Jerome.

Technically, it doesn't "boost" anything. It just stops the CPU from saving power by not letting it partially turn off when idle, and thus enables the SSD to perform its spec 100% of the time without being bottlenecked.

Also, it's only the deeper C-states that need to be disabled if you want full performance. The enhanced halt state, C1E, is fine; C3-C7 are not.

Take a look at this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-hdd-power,2170.html (was written 3 years ago, so it's by no means news)

Personally, I've also disabled the C-states but I'm also overclocking so it makes perfect sense.

WoW.... Sorry to rub you the wrong way..

Let me re-phrase ... What, besides the benefits stated in the article, are the benefits of disabling the power states ? Also, should I disable the thermal monitor option in the BIOS ? Thanks

The only benefit is that your SSD isn't bottlenecked anymore.

The negative effects are higher power consumption and the disabling of TurboBoost function which relies on the C-states to function.

So generally, if you're overclocking you probably don't have TurboBoost enabled anyway, and the C-states lose some value right there. Furthermore, the powersaving features aren't really popular in the overclocking community due to the potential instability they bring; that's even less value. The C-states do have some small benefit on power consumption though; during my personal testing, idling in Windows brings the CPU package power consumption down to ~6-7 watts (measured with RealTemp), whereas disabled C-states brings that number up to ~15-20 watts. (and I'm still not talking about the C1E state, which is perfectly fine and should be used all the time, overclocking or not)

I guess the real losers here are the people running stock who read this uninformed advice and rush in BIOS setup to disable the C-states, ignorant of the fact that they lose the benefits of TurboBoost and thereby sacrifice a lot more performance than they gain.

I have a thermal monitor setting in mt BIOS setup as well - I haven't touched it so it's on auto. I don't really know what it does either, but I'm sure it has no impact on overclockability or stability.

Archived