Corsair Community

H100 overhangs MB in 600T killing installation

anuoldman

for those interested, please note that the H100 when mounted in the design spot on the top in the 600T overhangs the entire length of the motherboard by about 1 inch at a height of about 1 inch...

there are a variety of Motherboards that are thus not installable with this case cooler combo.... notably any MB that has any of the following within 1 inch of ANYWHERE along the top edge:

- ram slot

- voltage regulator heatsink that is taller than 1 inch,

- the 2x4 12v CPU plug which is about 1.5 inches tall when connected

notably this kills all Intel retail motherboards. all Asus Z68 motherboards, all EVGA Z68 mb's and well... I stopped looking after that. a bunch of MB don't fit.....

anyone have the 600T+H100 installed with an 1155 motherboard they want to share?

=================================================

RESOLVED.... kinda pilot error

the top grill plastic frame now (or maybe always since I've never seen an older one) was interfering with the front fan:

- there is about 3/32 play in the radiator / fan mounting holes...

- if the play is with the fans too far forward, the front fan catches on a protruding cross member on the grill cover frame

- because the grill cover is perf metal with light plastic frame, when it caught I was very reluctant to force it at all, and because of how tight the fan to grill fit is, it appears as if it is unlikely to fit, even to the most mechanically inclined people

- also, as there is not a comprehensive guide anywhere in the case or cooler docs explaining fan placement, it leaves the customer in the position of guessing what was intended allowing trains of thought like bottom fan placement to proceed (bottom fan placement causes the interference problem which is the reason for this post)

so, the fans go on top of the grill, however make sure when tightening the fan screws to ensure that the fans aren't too far forward to place the grill cover correctly....

Indeed, sounds like you've mounted the fans underneath the top grill, which would cause such issues.

Take the top vent off, and mount your fans so they are sandwiched between the top grill and the removable vent cover in a "pull" configuration.

Should solve your problem :).

unless I'm missing something outrageous...can't install over top grill in the 600T... not enough room inside the cover... even a 12mm thick fan wont fit there.... the cover is metal mesh with a thick plastic frame and the push n click retention... there's zero room inside

Or...see: "Corsair H100 Install in 600T case" via y/t.

thanks for this suggestion, but it does 4 things I definitely don't want to do:

1- adds an additional 90 deg of tube twist

2- uses / blocks the 3.5 inch bays

3- appears to limit you to about a geforce 8800 in vid card length... the cards that I have will interfere

4- ignores the nice mounting holes corsair has for their H100 product that infers you can actually install it there

Installing the 25mm thick fans on the top works for me. Grill still closes with no issues. It appeared to be a close call with the screws at the top, but surprisingly there were no clearance issues. I'm not sure how yours is different. There are eight larger holes in the top to line up the radiator holes, if I remember correctly.

yup got all that... but there is no way 25MM fans will fit in top, they extend to about the outside surface of the grill... I found a thread elsewhere "*PICS* Corsair H100 in 600T" that illustrated the problem....

are you sure we are talking about the same case / fans? you were able to close your grill over this? I don't think even a 12mm fan will fit looking at my grill....

http://i41.tinypic.com/2zsppo6.jpg

That's, minus the color, almost exactly what my setup looks like. Yes, the cover closes. You only push on the back part, so it works fine. I can even get (low-quality) pictures if you want.

I actually pushed down on the grill a bit to see if it's a tight fit, and it goes down before hitting either the fans or screws by a mm or two.

thanks for this suggestion, but it does 4 things I definitely don't want to do:

1- adds an additional 90 deg of tube twist

2- uses / blocks the 3.5 inch bays

3- appears to limit you to about a geforce 8800 in vid card length... the cards that I have will interfere

4- ignores the nice mounting holes corsair has for their H100 product that infers you can actually install it there

As obviously noted in the video...alternative install is offered primarily for a push/pull configuration. Pump can also be mounted in four positions!

Hdd bays benefit from even BETTER air circulation. You can move one of the bays IF needed.

Only VERY long vid cards prevent mounting as shown. If you are using just 2 fans...plenty of room. Great processor...time for a new card.

What's so nice about the Corsair mounting holes if they LIMIT mounting options?

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO LOSE THE 200MM exhaust fan that is integral to case airflow design?

RESOLVED.... kinda pilot error

the top grill plastic frame now (or maybe always since I've never seen an older one) was interfering with the front fan:

- there is about 3/32 play in the radiator / fan mounting holes...

- if the play is with the fans too far forward, the front fan catches on a protruding cross member on the grill cover frame

- because the grill cover is perf metal with light plastic frame, when it caught I was very reluctant to force it at all, and because of how tight the fan to grill fit is, it appears as if it is unlikely to fit, even to the most mechanically inclined people

- also, as there is not a comprehensive guide anywhere in the case or cooler docs explaining fan placement, it leaves the customer in the position of guessing what was intended allowing trains of thought like bottom fan placement to proceed

so, the fans go on top of the grill, however make sure when tightening the fan screws to ensure that the fans aren't too far forward to place the grill cover correctly....

• 6 months later...

Archived