Corsair Community

Turning off SP120 fan lights on a Corsair 460x

Brandon H.

Is there any way to turn the RGB fan LED’s off on a 460x using the factory SP120 fans? Or is there a switch i can buy and mount on the case to turn the fans or fan LED’s off. All im looking to so is turn the LED’s off and keep fans running. I really want the 460x but if that doesn't exist then I will just go with the 275R. I don’t mind adding or rigging a switch as long as I know what wires to tie into. Does the factory remote turn them off?

I tried looking at the manual for the case and did not see it listed, nor did infind it in the FAQ RGB post. Any advice without spending a ton of money on a controller? In new to all these fancy fans out now :o:

Reason is i want it lit up when i want it lit up, and off when I'm sleeping or watching a movie or playing games. Only after white or blue not a whole range of colors.

Thanks

I don’t think so with only the thumb remote. That was the same complaint I had with the HDs once upon a time. However, life gets a lot better when you get off the remote and move to software control. That opens up a lot more options with color, brightness, patterns, and of course instant lighting black - also known as lights off. To bring them into the software control, you need a Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro. You’ll have to decide the value for yourself, but certainly cheaper than a new case.

I don’t think so with only the thumb remote. That was the same complaint I had with the HDs once upon a time. However, life gets a lot better when you get off the remote and move to software control. That opens up a lot more options with color, brightness, patterns, and of course instant lighting black - also known as lights off. To bring them into the software control, you need a Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro. You’ll have to decide the value for yourself, but certainly cheaper than a new case.

Thanks for the reply. I currently don't own the case, just driving myself crazy trying to pick one out. I thought only the Commander pro would work, but if the lightning Node Pro will work its cheaper and definitely an option.

Another odd question, but any durability issues on Any of these parts or are they pretty stable? I saw a lot of mixed reviews but its hard to pull the good from the bad.

The case? Or the fans? I don't see many complaints with physical construction or finish on the case. The funniest one is most people want it to be just a bit bigger, and thus came the 570x.

The one thing to really know before jumping in is the original glass/RGB cases came with a "SP-RGB" fan. Or 3 of them across the front. This is a different thing than all the other RGB fans. It has 4 LEDs, so it will look more like your typical RGB fan, although a definite improvement. But, they are DC 3 pin motors and thus do not play with any of the other HD/LL/ML-RGB fans that are 4 pin PWM. They always have to have their own RGB Lighting Hub and power run. There is a plain version called the "570" without the X that does not come with the SP fans. I don't know if it is obtainable or it may no longer be financially relevant after being out a few years. If I were buying the case, I would never install the SP-RGB fans and would go straight to HD or LL fans. It is a massive difference in terms of lighting. I would never buy 3 more SP-RGB to finish off the entire case. However, if you don't really have an interest in the RGB, then there is no reason to do this.

Lighting Node Pro (LNP) - It is the software interface for the RGB lighting hub and the fans. ML and LL require it. HD and SP do not (they are older). Regardless, the software controls are vastly more. If you don't buy other fans that include it, the best thing is usually the LNP + RGB Strip kit.

Commander Pro - It is a LNP plus a 6 port fan controller. If you want software controlled fan speeds through iCUE rather than the BIOS, this is what you need. Replaces the LNP in the system. Also has several temp probes for data collection, but also as a primary control source. I can hook this into my water sensors or one taped to my PSU exhaust and makes fans run from those values.

Skim through the Lighting Guide below to get a basic understanding of the choices.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880