Corsair Community

Extra Standoff Causes Grief

Raptor-X

The ATX motherboard layout spec has evolved over time. The number of standoffs specified has been reduced from 10 to 9 plus 1 optional. Corsair is installing this optional standoff. However, most contemporary motherboards are only using 9 standoffs. Check your motherboard's mounting holes carefully before installation. Remove the extra standoff if your motherboard does not have a corresponding mounting hole. No good will come of leaving it installed. Electrical shorts, PCIe card alignment issues & motherboard warping are but a few of the hazards that can be avoided..

Page 9 & 10 of the spec below provide additional detail.

http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5Catx2_2.pdf

Yes, this is a bit of "common sense" for experienced builders. However, I have noted several builds with problems that could trace back to this issue...

The Corsair 800D case comes with 10 standoffs I extra for my ATX motherboard. (Asus Crosshair III )

I usually count the holes in the motherboard and make a paper template to align the holes. I removed the extra standoff.

Most previous builds the case had no standoffs installed.

I had 2 incidents, one involved an extra standoff and another where a screw fell under the motherboard and had to be removed.

This is something that Corsair needs to put a warning sticker in the case or not install the extra standoff. I was aware of it before hand but a lot of people don't read the forums and it sure can cause problems or ruin a motherboard if they are not careful. The best solution I have seen is where the case had a paper template and the standoffs were not installed.

Archived