Corsair Community

Copy a Partition to Force GT

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a Corsair Force GT 120 GB and thinking about copy my Windows partition from my current harddrive to the SSD.

But I don't know if it's possible and how to do it. Can you help me with this? Right now, Windows and all the programs installed on the drive is using about 100GB of total 350GB space.

I just looking into possibility aside from setting it up all over again (installing & configuring Windows and other programs, downloading updates, etc.) which is, in my opinion, will takes a lot of time.

thank you.

You can easily clone the SSD using utility software located on the HDD manufacturers site.

It is normally a version of Acronis and is easy to use.

Once you have that done you can format your old drive and move your documents to it to clear up space on your SSD

I just checked the hard drive site (wdc.com) and found Acronis WD Edition, is this the utility software you meant?

And there's no problem cloning for another brand, and from a large partition to this SSD, right? because I just read about other software, EaseUs Disk Copy which requires destination partition must be larger in size than the source.

And after i copied the partition, how much the free space on the SSD you would recommend?

I bought the SSD a few hours ago and successfully 'clone' it via restoring a backup image i've created before with Acronis True Image. I chose to restore the Windows partition, System Reserved partition & MBR to the SSD, then boot my PC from Windows DVD and chose "Repair Your Computer". it works for me.

there's a thing i want to ask, sorry for the double post.

i have a PassMark DiskCheckup which i use for checking my drives. So i try to check the SSD S.M.A.R.T. status and the DiskCheckup showing of what i think is abnormal. there's already 7326900 raw value on Raw Read Error Rate, 75282186764292 raw value on Power On Time and 7354228 raw value on Hardware ECC Recovered, Off Track Errors & Soft ECC Correction. and these values keep significantly rising everytime i click refresh on the software. Seriously? i just bought it few hours ago!

Download and test your drive with ATTO. Atto is the accepted software to bench SSD drives.

If you are new to SSDs do not constantly run benchmarks on them. The drives have a set number of read/writes they can do and benching will over time shorten the life of the drive.

Archived